Israel Codner, left, and his twin brother, Ishmeal, both 11 months. (Source: Family Photo via New York Daily News)
In what could have been a tragic ordeal, the heroic actions of a postal worker helped save the lives of twin baby boys tossed from a burning Bronx apartment. Jermaine Shipley was heading to work Wednesday morning when he smelled smoke at his building, leaping into action to catch the twins who were tossed into his arms by their father.
The dramatic event took place around 7 a.m. yesterday, as Shipley, 30, was heading to Greenwich, Conn., to begin his mail run for the day. After smelling the smoke, Shipley rushed back and got his wife and child to safety before looking for others in need of help. Shipley, a new dad himself, banged on all the doors when he heard the twins’ father, Everdean Codner, screaming for help.
“It was just instincts. They just kicked in right away,” Shirley said to the New York Daily News. “I would want somebody to do the same for me.”
Shipley ran to the back of the building and climbed on the roof of a shed where Codner, 32, was at a fire escape holding his 11-month-old boys Ishmael and Israel. Shipley got into position to catch the boys, who both left the building uninjured. Shipley handed off one of the babies to Codner’s nephew, Euwan Lynch, before jumping down from the shed with the second boy. The Codner family couldn’t have been more grateful.
“Jermaine and my nephew are both heroes. I have to thank them. They’re the best,” Codner said. “We’re here today because of our neighbor’s quick response. It’s the best holiday gift you could ever ask for.”
Amazingly, Codner was not supposed to be home when the blaze took place. He overslept that day and was late for work at a local moving company, and was able to do what he could to gather his wife and children together ahead of the Shipley rescue.
The fire was started by an electrical malfunction on the second floor of the three-story building. Three people suffered minor injuries and the babies are safely back with their parents after a routine examination.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Postal Worker Saves Twin Boys Tossed From Burning Bronx Apartment