The family of a 13-year-old California girl is reeling over decision no one ever thought would have to be made: whether or not to take her off life support.
Jahi McMath, who went to Oakland Children’s Hospital to simply have her tonsils and adenoids removed, was supposed to come home last Tuesday, but instead family members are left with the unexpected decision of possibly ending her life, according to KTVU.
Jahi’s surgery was supposed to be a routine procedure, one that is done everyday and rarely met with complications. But after Jahi had her tonsils and adenoids removed last Monday, she began bleeding profusely from her mouth and nose. Jahi’s grandmother, Sandra Jo Chatman, told KTVU she kept asking for help from nurses but says no one would answer her pleas.
It wasn’t until the little girl let out some screams that the nursing staff responded, Chatman claims. “I was the last one to see Jahi,” she says. “I said, ‘Somebody help my baby please!’ And they came in and starting working on her. The next thing I know, the doctor said, ‘Oh no, she doesn’t have a heart rate anymore.’”
Hospital spokesperson Melinda Kreigel says Jahi’s case is under investigation and said the ICU staff is always manned with nurses round the clock.
The McMath family also contend that hospital personnel have been treating them in a disrespectful and callous manner, adding that they feel pressured to make a quick decision about Jahi’s fate. Jahi’s mother, Nailah Winkfield, struggled to keep her composure as she talked about her daughter in front of Children’s Hospital Saturday.
“Now you’re saying your family is taking over the hospital,” said Winkfield. “You guys invaded my life!”
Kreigel, however, defends the hospital’s position. She says that the McMath family is not being treated in an ill manner, nor are they being rushed into making any snap decisions about their little girl. Taking Jahi off life support is the family’s decision to make, she added.
But Jahi’s mother is still in shock over her daughter’s health, given that the procedure she went in for was suppose to be a simple one.
“(They) told me my daughter would be home on Tuesday and now you tell me she’ll never come home again!” Winkfield said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 29
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 29
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 29
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 29
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 29
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 29
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 29
8. new new
8 of 29
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 29
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 29
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 29
12 of 29
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 29
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 29
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 29
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 29
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 29
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 29
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 29
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 29
21 of 29
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 29
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 29
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 29
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 29
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 29
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29