Little Brother is a 10-year/10-chapterseries of short documentary films that give Black boys as young as nine years old the unique opportunity to have their voices heard on a topic society tends to rob them of: Love.
Little Brother. A conversation that will save a generation.
Filmmaker Nicole Franklin states: “As of this date, I have spent 14 years filming African American subjects. I have been known to film primarily women, but never too far from their side is the magnetic, passionate, estranged, complicated, tortured and, at other times, joyous relationship with men.
In 2009, I was in my tenth year of independent filmmaking, and I could not ignore exploring the men in our culture any more. This was prompted by questions from my audiences: What kind of men do the women you film share their lives with? Are their husbands, boyfriends or lovers emasculated in any way by their success? Do they feel they are fully supported at home in order to pursue their passion? Of course I had answers to these questions–from the women’s point of view. But what would their men, or any men in this case, have to say about their affection in return for these very special women? Dare I say it? What was not being discussed at length in my films nor any others at the time was the fully realized ability of African American men to love.
Developed in 2009, with principle photography in 2010, my company, EPIPHANY Inc., has—to date—produced four short documentaries as part of a 10-year/10-chapter series titled Little Brother. This interactive media project co-produced by J. Tiggett, may be found at www.LittleBrotherFilm.com. The project began as an experiment. The premise: if young Black men aged nine to thirteen, from ten different areas of the United States, were to express their thoughts on love in their own words, how might this nation change its perception of a large section of the population often seen as disadvantaged and menacing. Are they to be pitied or feared? Exalted or punished? Whatever the impression, Black boys in the United States are rarely described as merely human.
Filmmaker J. Tiggett: “It concerns me to think that in a few generations, the Black family as we know it may not exist because we couldn’t sustain ourselves, because others didn’t love us, because we didn’t love one another. These boys are essentially the heads of household of the next generation, and what they have to say about love may give us a clue as to how to preserve it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30