Little Brother is a 10-year/10-chapterseries of short documentary films that give Black boys as young as nine years old the unique opportunity to have their voices heard on a topic society tends to rob them of: Love.
Little Brother. A conversation that will save a generation.
Filmmaker Nicole Franklin states: “As of this date, I have spent 14 years filming African American subjects. I have been known to film primarily women, but never too far from their side is the magnetic, passionate, estranged, complicated, tortured and, at other times, joyous relationship with men.
In 2009, I was in my tenth year of independent filmmaking, and I could not ignore exploring the men in our culture any more. This was prompted by questions from my audiences: What kind of men do the women you film share their lives with? Are their husbands, boyfriends or lovers emasculated in any way by their success? Do they feel they are fully supported at home in order to pursue their passion? Of course I had answers to these questions–from the women’s point of view. But what would their men, or any men in this case, have to say about their affection in return for these very special women? Dare I say it? What was not being discussed at length in my films nor any others at the time was the fully realized ability of African American men to love.
Developed in 2009, with principle photography in 2010, my company, EPIPHANY Inc., has—to date—produced four short documentaries as part of a 10-year/10-chapter series titled Little Brother. This interactive media project co-produced by J. Tiggett, may be found at www.LittleBrotherFilm.com. The project began as an experiment. The premise: if young Black men aged nine to thirteen, from ten different areas of the United States, were to express their thoughts on love in their own words, how might this nation change its perception of a large section of the population often seen as disadvantaged and menacing. Are they to be pitied or feared? Exalted or punished? Whatever the impression, Black boys in the United States are rarely described as merely human.
Filmmaker J. Tiggett: “It concerns me to think that in a few generations, the Black family as we know it may not exist because we couldn’t sustain ourselves, because others didn’t love us, because we didn’t love one another. These boys are essentially the heads of household of the next generation, and what they have to say about love may give us a clue as to how to preserve it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25