The moment we saw the promotional photo of gospel artist Erica Campbell, we knew somebody somewhere was gonna have problem with it.

Erica-Campbell

And as they say, Stevie Wonder coulda told you that!

In any event, it seems that Mrs. Campbell is even coming under attack by her fans as well. The pic is from a photo shoot of her upcoming album that’s set to be released in March 2014.

Erica of course is one-half of gospel duo Mary Mary and she announced last year that she she was launching a solo career. As we previously reported, she already has a hit single called “A little More Jesus” which has been nominate for a Best Gospel Song Grammy.

Recently a preacher – who like anybody with eyes – couldn’t help but notice Erica’s ample curvy assets and just had to speak out about her on Facebook:

“THIS IS NOT OKAY. Yes, you are a beautiful, curvy woman … but NO MA’AM YOU ARE SINGING THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. Saints … smh COME ON.”

“Yes, you are a beautiful, curvy woman … but No ma’am you are singing the gospel of Jesus Christ,” wrote pastor Stacey Woods on the American Preachers site.

“We compel men to come through our love for Jesus, but when we wear things that are distracting, the message is somehow lost and it becomes about us and not about Him,” Woods also wrote.

On the other hand some on social media don’t have a problem with it. Lisa Holloway said:

”I think people especially Christians are too uptight. It’s nothing wrong with being a Christian and portraying sex appeal.”

You think that maybe if her hair extensions weren’t so long, no one would have noticed.

Anywho, women wearing clothes that that cause controversy with church folk is not a new subject. Before this dust up was the reaction to Megan Good’s dress at last summer’s BET Awards. Many felt it was inappropriate for the wife of a minister.

So what do you think? Is Erica’s photo inappropriate for a gospel artist?

32 thoughts on “Mary Mary’s Erica Campbell Receives Backlash Over Too-Sexy Dress (PHOTO)

1. Lawanda on said:

I Love the look, I love Mary Mary… I love Erica’s look… listening to your music saved my life. It takes more energy to be judgemental and negative, than to give what God and Jesus what they has asked us to do… to love unconditionally…. Agape

2. Savealotofsouls on said:

As Christians we’ve forgot our purpose because we’re too busy trying to impress the world. He wants us to present our bodies as a living sacrafice, holy and except able.

3. MNsandrad on said:

She looks beautiful…and remember God doesn’t make mistakes. She stays in the Lord and manages to stay fit so all I can say is if people wasn’t talking then maybe she isn’t doing something right. When you are living a Godly life then troubles will come. God bless both of the sisters in all that they do. Keep it up.

4. shakeva on said:

I think she looks curvy and beautiful! She is covered from head to toe, she is not hanging out any where. The church is judgmental sometimes, judging someone else is a sin as well, most people forget that sin though.

• I completely agree with you. She looks beautiful and although it is form fitting she remains classy and the dress was tasteful. She is curvy and her image screams sex appeal; that cannot be helped. Too often in the church young women shy away from attending services because of how they are dressed. They should be embraced instead of criticized. No one is perfect but GOD…so don’t judge. This lady ministers through song and when embracing the messages she puts out there it shouldn’t matter what she’s wearing.

5. I think she looks beautiful! When you are a Godly person you should question yourself about your own thoughts and why you eyes go to the curve in her hips instead of the faith in her eyes. Check yourself pls.

6. LaBarbara on said:

There is a LOT wrong with the picture, and to sum it up – “It’s Not Me!” My Goodness!! This woman is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS and people need to get a life!!

7. The haters on this one really need to get a life. Its not her fault she’s blessed with prominent and pronounced curves. What do they want her to do? Walk around in a “Granny Dress” and flats? I Think Not! Keep doing you Erica! And I say the same to the rest of the ladies out there. If you’ve got it, don’t dress it down, dress it up.

• NoelCunning on said:

• I think she looks good if she was going out clubbing, but I don’t expect anything better from these ladies. My friend is a manager at S.O.B.s in New York he said there is nothing Gospel about these ladies. They are rude demanding and short tempered just they are on the reality show. We as a christian community we are too tolerant to say the least.

8. ANITA Craig on said:

I THINK SHE LOOKS VERY GOOD, The reason people run from the church is because they pass judgement to quickly, she looks how a woman of God should look in shape and healthy. I think the shoes take it over board a little a lower heel or something less busy would have played the dress down Go Mary (erica) Campbell

9. Pastors J & M on said:

This is a beautiful married woman, with children!!! Hello!
    Erica looks like a Ephesians 5:25, woman. . . Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ’s love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They’re really doing themselves a favor—since they’re already “one” in marriage. (Ephesians 5:25-28 MSG)

10. ablessn2u on said:

Is her skirts was up her butt? Is she exposing her cleavage? SHE IS COVERED! If a man lust after her or what they see. THEY NEED PRAYER… She is married and I know her husband is proud of the way she looks. So if he don’t have a problem, no one else should. Now I’m motivated to get my health and body in shape. Did anyone remember what she look like before? This took strict discipline. And this is the result of. Some ppl need to take this same discipline and apply it to serving God then they won’t have time for judgment and gossip. Just my opinion. I applaud your effort WOG. I’m glad God isn’t like man. My goodness!!!!

11. I think she looks beautiful and this would only motivate me more to listen to Gospel. All those who loved her before this picture would love her more, Erica gives us older and curvy women motivation to Love the Lord and look beautiful doing it!!!

12. When I saw this photo, it motivated me as a woman of God to get fit and represent Christ well. I actually saved it to my phone to remind me of how awesome I can look after having kids. She looks like a child of the MOST HIGH KING! I support Erica and Tina and think they represent classy, confident, saved women well. For those criticizing, I can’t help but wonder if jealousy and lust has something to do with it… The issue seems to lie with the critics and not her. I hope she doesn’t allow “church hurt” to discourage her and continues to uplift JESUS.

13. Jennifer on said:

You are beautiful sister all those who have a problem with the way she dressed all I can say is thank God they are not God. There is nothing wrong with being,and looking beautiful👍👍

14. The only ones hatin r th females who don’t hav th shape 4 that dress or th men who don’t hav a woman who looks good enuf 2 wear that dress!

• No ma’am, that’s a negative. Why does anyone who disagrees with something have to be a hater? First let me say I am a 25 year old professional dancer. My body is fit, toned and shapely. I have no reason to hate on this woman. My husband is in ministry and although I and young and love fashion I know to dress appropriately because of whom and what I represent. I think this dress is fashionable and age appropriate for Erica but it is way TOO TIGHT. If she had gotten a size up no one would have said anything.Look at the way the bottom is pulling and that’s with her legs crossed! I’m sorry but you know good and well she could barely walk in that. Ladies just because you can get something on doesn’t mean it fits.. And just because we don’t think she should be in this dress doesn’t mean that we want her to wear a granny dress. Everything is not so black or white. Be blessed

15. SHERILYN HUDSON on said:

ERICA IS FULLY CLOTHED & LOOKS NICE. ALL THE HATERS NEED TO GO ON AND GET THEM SOME REAL BUSINESS. YOU HATERS DIDN’T SAY ANYTHING WHEN SHE WAS THICKER AND WEARING LEATHER LEGGING. MAD CAUSE SHE BLESSED. JESUS LOVES YOU. ROCK ON SISTA.

16. Anette Farnell on said:

Go Erica. There is nothing showing. A beautiful women’s body that God made. The church ladies wish they had that body. What do they want her to wear a Berka? That is why there are only 10 folk in their pews. Jesus take the wheel.

17. Every female gospel single does not have to dress like Shirley Ceaser or like they are about to go on Bobby Jones Gospel. She is a young woman who happens to be attractive as well. People need to lighten up

18. Clarion09 on said:

No, her dress is not inappropriate. She wore it to take promotional pictures for her album, not to preach a sermon. And I hate to say this, but some of the backlash coming from the women is pure jealousy. It’s not so much that Erica SHOULDN’T have worn the dress, but that they COULDN’T.

19. Yolie Johnso on said:

No, it is not inappropriate, I think she looks lovely, not hanging out or over the top, just a beautiful, white angelic dress that shows her curves, basically, she decided to do something a little more cutting edge which would separate her from Mary Mary image.