We can all agree that travel comes with stress. Throw the holidays into the mix and it can be the absolute worst! This year, it is estimated that 25 million people flew during the days leading up to and after Thanksgiving.
With Christmas and New Years approaching, we can expect a similar type of mob to fill the airports once again. This season, avoid stress and spaz outs with tips for ensuring peaceful and efficient airport travel.
1. Airline Tricks
If you have a baby, most airlines will let you check their car seat, crib and stroller for free; so don’t be afraid to pack everything you need for fear or checked baggage fees! To top that off, most major carriers give priority boarding to people with young kids, all you have to do is ask!
2. Travel with Carry-Ons
My favorite way to beat the airport blues is to squeeze everything into my 21 inch carry-on bag. As long as I check in the night before, I’ve gotten to the airport only 20 minutes before pre-board because I don’t have to check my bag according to the airline’s “hour before” regulations.
You also don’t have to wait the 30-60 minutes after leaving the plane at baggage claim. Buy those tiny plastic bottle toiletry kits and hand pack your favorite products and pop them in to your carry on.
3. Be Flexible
If you have any wiggle room whatsoever, check the “flexible dates” box that most online flight search engines have. You can save a ton of cash on holiday travel by flying at awkward times. Being able to change the date of your flight, even if it’s only by 12 hours gives you a lot of options that will help your wallet as well. I just booked last-minute Christmas travel for eight family members and saved $3,000 by moving their flights a half a day ahead from what I planned.
4. Spring For Economy Plus
In most cases, booking economy plus over regular economy is only about $50 bucks. In exchange for that extra fee is peace of mind, extra leg room, faster boarding/exiting and first grab and the drinks and snacks. If you have a long flight, the extra stretch and recline room will feel especially luxurious.
5. De-stress In The Airline Lounge
You may not know it, but all the major carriers have airline lounges in the airport. For $50 dollars you can gain access to their peaceful world. During the holidays, a lot of us may find ourselves with cancelled flights or major delays due to weather.
A great way to beat the stress in those moments is to head to the lounge, shell out some money and relax. Most lounges have free snacks (some, like Cathay Pacific will even have delish entire meals at your disposal), drinks, comfortable seating, areas to lay down, wifi and all the electrical outlets your heart and smartphone desires!
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading 8 Tips To Survive Holiday Travel Without Pulling Out Your Hair