It’s rather hilarious that a bigot precedes some deeply prejudice comments he made at a holiday party with, ”We cannot win without the independents and the Tea Party, so get over it, folks. You’re going to have to get along with those folks.”
I assume former state rep and Michigan national GOP committeeman Dave Agema believes independents hate gay people just as much as he does. Never mind the majority of Americans now support gay marriage — an obvious tip that people are learning to stop treating gays as if they have the cooties and are contagious. Nope, according to him, gay people remain nasty vile individuals, but not only that, though, apparently gays want free health care because they all got AIDS!
The Herald-Palladium reports:
“I stand for traditional marriage, no homosexual ones,” he said. “… The family unit is the basic unit in society. When you tear the family apart, you tear the country apart.”
[Agema] has taken flak nationally for his stance against gay marriage, but he said he doesn’t mind because while working at American Airlines, he saw firsthand what happens when benefits are extended to gay people.
He said American Airlines workers would say a person with AIDS was their lover so that person could get medical benefits.
“Folks, they [gay people] want free medical because they’re dying [when they’re] between 30 and 44 years old,” he said. “To me, it’s a moral issue. It’s a Biblical issue. Traditional marriage is where it should be, and it’s in our platform. Those in our party who oppose traditional marriage are wrong.”
Look at that, y’all. I beat certain death by a whole year.
So Agema believes Republicans need to accept that they need independents to win elections, but dually feels that traditional marriage is their platform and all Republicans should be anti-gay marriage. Not only that, the people who support marriage equality — i.e. lots and lots of independents — are wrong.
How effective do you think Agema will be in gaining votes if he is telling the voting bloc he needs to win that they are wrong on a major political issue?
And as Think Progress notes:
Such talking points are par for the course for Agema, who believes that homosexuality is an “unhealthy lifestyle” that “usually leads to early death.” In fact, he believes that homosexuality is something that people choose and that schools are actually turning kids gay by teaching them that being gay is an “OK lifestyle.” In 2011, Agema even proposed punishing Michigan state universities that provided domestic partner benefits by cutting 5 percent from those universities’ budgets.
Over the past year, the Republican Party has repeatedly claimed that it needed to tone down— or at least sugarcoat or offer some “grace, love and respect” — when discussing opposition to gay rights. That hasn’t stopped the RNC from approving another resolution opposing marriage equality, citing debunked junk science to justify condemning same-sex families as inferior. Agema’s brazen rhetoric does not abide this RNC guidance, nor does it seem to stray too far from the committee’s other actions.
But let Agema tell it and it’s the Democrats’ fault for giving Americans the perception that Republicans are divided on strategy and ideology.
A couple of things:
1. The ACA is not a free program. It should be, but it isn’t.
2. There are an ample amount of statistics available to prove that AIDS is no longer the “gay cancer” and hasn’t been for quite some time.
3. Although Agema is a 64, bitter, and full of it, I hope he leads a long, long life. That way he can see marriage equality go nationwide, a further weakening of HIV/AIDS, and a bunch of gay daddies and mamas. Then after he croaks, I can sing, “R.I.P. WE JUST HIT THE CLUB!” on the day of his funeral.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31