It’s rather hilarious that a bigot precedes some deeply prejudice comments he made at a holiday party with, ”We cannot win without the independents and the Tea Party, so get over it, folks. You’re going to have to get along with those folks.”
I assume former state rep and Michigan national GOP committeeman Dave Agema believes independents hate gay people just as much as he does. Never mind the majority of Americans now support gay marriage — an obvious tip that people are learning to stop treating gays as if they have the cooties and are contagious. Nope, according to him, gay people remain nasty vile individuals, but not only that, though, apparently gays want free health care because they all got AIDS!
The Herald-Palladium reports:
“I stand for traditional marriage, no homosexual ones,” he said. “… The family unit is the basic unit in society. When you tear the family apart, you tear the country apart.”
[Agema] has taken flak nationally for his stance against gay marriage, but he said he doesn’t mind because while working at American Airlines, he saw firsthand what happens when benefits are extended to gay people.
He said American Airlines workers would say a person with AIDS was their lover so that person could get medical benefits.
“Folks, they [gay people] want free medical because they’re dying [when they’re] between 30 and 44 years old,” he said. “To me, it’s a moral issue. It’s a Biblical issue. Traditional marriage is where it should be, and it’s in our platform. Those in our party who oppose traditional marriage are wrong.”
Look at that, y’all. I beat certain death by a whole year.
So Agema believes Republicans need to accept that they need independents to win elections, but dually feels that traditional marriage is their platform and all Republicans should be anti-gay marriage. Not only that, the people who support marriage equality — i.e. lots and lots of independents — are wrong.
How effective do you think Agema will be in gaining votes if he is telling the voting bloc he needs to win that they are wrong on a major political issue?
And as Think Progress notes:
Such talking points are par for the course for Agema, who believes that homosexuality is an “unhealthy lifestyle” that “usually leads to early death.” In fact, he believes that homosexuality is something that people choose and that schools are actually turning kids gay by teaching them that being gay is an “OK lifestyle.” In 2011, Agema even proposed punishing Michigan state universities that provided domestic partner benefits by cutting 5 percent from those universities’ budgets.
Over the past year, the Republican Party has repeatedly claimed that it needed to tone down— or at least sugarcoat or offer some “grace, love and respect” — when discussing opposition to gay rights. That hasn’t stopped the RNC from approving another resolution opposing marriage equality, citing debunked junk science to justify condemning same-sex families as inferior. Agema’s brazen rhetoric does not abide this RNC guidance, nor does it seem to stray too far from the committee’s other actions.
But let Agema tell it and it’s the Democrats’ fault for giving Americans the perception that Republicans are divided on strategy and ideology.
A couple of things:
1. The ACA is not a free program. It should be, but it isn’t.
2. There are an ample amount of statistics available to prove that AIDS is no longer the “gay cancer” and hasn’t been for quite some time.
3. Although Agema is a 64, bitter, and full of it, I hope he leads a long, long life. That way he can see marriage equality go nationwide, a further weakening of HIV/AIDS, and a bunch of gay daddies and mamas. Then after he croaks, I can sing, “R.I.P. WE JUST HIT THE CLUB!” on the day of his funeral.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30