Adam Levine may rule as People magazine’s sexiest man alive this year, but Essence magazine readers beg to differ with their pick for the publication’s Sexiest Man Alive for this year, Idris Elba.
According to thegrio.com, the actor, who has graced the big screen this year with notable roles in “Pacific Rim” and “Thor: The Dark World,” owes the honor more to his looks in addition to his talent.
To further add to the mix, Essence readers cited Elba’s charm as another reason for him earning the magazine’s recognition.
“When Elba smiles, he dazzles. We’re seeing stars, moons and rainbows right about now,” Essence noted.
Look for Elba to do what he does best as he portrays former South African civil rights activist and president Nelson Mandela in “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.”
The Justin Chadwick -helmed biopic, which also stars Naomie Harris as Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, is set to hit theaters in the U.S. on Christmas Day.
Favorite Celebrity Imports
22 photos Launch gallery
1. Amethyst Amelia Kelly, better known by her stage name Iggy Azalea, is an Australian recording artist from Mullumbimby, New South Wales.
1 of 22
2. Rita Sahatçiu Ora is a British singer, songwriter and actress. Her debut studio album, Ora, debuted at number one in the United Kingdom.
2 of 22
3. Sam Smith was born in London, England and an alumnus of Youth Music Theatre UK and starred in their 2007 production of "Oh! Carol".
3 of 22
4. Boris Kodjoe is an Austrian-born German actor and former fashion model who works primarily in the States. YAY! (PR)
4 of 22
5. Singer & Actor Rihanna was born in a parish in Barbados called St. Michael. (Photos: PR)
5 of 22
6. Actor Idris Elba was born in England has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)
6 of 22
7. Singer Melanie Fiona is from Toronto, Canada.
7 of 22
8. Actor turned rapper, Aubrey Drake Graham was born in Toronto, Ontario. (Photos: PR)
8 of 22
9. Terri Seymour was born in England and is the American Idol correspondent for FOX 11 in LA. (PR Photos)
9 of 22
10. Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor was born in London to Nigerian parents and started acting on stage as a teenager. (Photos: PR)
10 of 22
11. Actor Wentworth Miller was born in England and is the lean, hunky star of TV's Prison Break. (Photos: PR)
11 of 22
12. London born Estelle is an English Grammy Award winning R&B singer & songwriter, rapper and record producer. (Photos: PR)
12 of 22
13. Downtown Julie Brown, born in Great Britain is an actress and former MTV VJ. She currently resides in LA. (PR Photos)
13 of 22
14. Wyclef was born in Haiti.
14 of 22
15. Naomi Campbell is a British model and was one of six models of her generation declared "supermodels" by the fashion world.
15 of 22
16. Tamia was born in Windsor, Ontario.
16 of 22
17. Taio Cruz is an English singer-songwriter, record producer, occasional rapper, and entrepreneur. (PR Photos)
17 of 22
18. Actress Thandie Newton is a British actress who has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)
18 of 22
19. Award winning actor and theatre director Delroy Lindo has also found fame on both sides of the pond. (PR Photos)
19 of 22
20. Supermodel Iman was born in Somalia, attended University of Nairobi where a photographer discovered her. (PR Photos)
20 of 22
21. Djimon Hounsou is a Beninese actor and model and has been nominated for two Academy Awards. (PR Photos)
21 of 22
22. Naomie Melanie Harris is an screen actress in both England and the United States. (Photo: AP)
22 of 22