Michela Duplechain was wallowing in grief over the death of her 14-year-old son, Anthony, and feeling as though she no longer had purpose before she made the decision to turn her life around. Now five years after her son’s untimely death at the hands of her own husband, Duplechain has earned a college degree from Clayton State College in order to honor her son, according to WSB-TV.
Duplechain, a barbershop owner, reportedly dated Reggie Hines for more than a year, even though Hines was verbally and physically abusive. Believing that she could change him, Duplechain married him.
Two months in to the marriage, the Coweta County, Ga., Mom was reportedly moving out some furniture from her home to give to a relative when Hines pulled up in his car. Hines allegedly assumed that Duplechain was leaving him, so he became violent and began shooting his gun.
Missing Duplechain, Hines struck her only child, Anthony, killing him.
Hines then turned the gun on himself.
The murder/suicide left Duplechain in a dark place. She became depressed and thought that her life was over. Duplechain told WSB-TV, ”I couldn’t understand how I was going to survive. I just felt like life was over – no purpose, nothing,” laments the Mom.
But one day, Duplechain had an aha moment, when Anthony’s spirit spoke to her, urging her to go to school. The 49-year-old woman had many reservations about school at first, because she told WSB-TV, “I never even wanted to go to school. I didn’t think I was smart enough to go to college.”
Despite her self-doubts, Duplechain initially enrolled at a community college and managed to earn an Associate’s degree. She then forged on and has now completed a Bachelor’s in psychology and counseling to honor her son’s memory who would have been a freshman in college.
When Duplechain felt as if she wanted to give up because the classes were too tough, she simply thought about Anthony: “He helps me when I kind of feel like I can’t get this assignment done, and I’m just going to give up. I can hear him saying, ‘Mommy,’” says Duplechain.
After her Bachelor’s degree, Duplechain, who now works as a paraprofessional at an elementary school, wants to obtain a Master’s in school counseling.
Duplechain, who admits that the last five years have been beyond emotionally debilitating, has some advice for those who have experienced a deep loss, “Everybody experiences loss, but after the death of a child or any loved one, it’s what you do after that death that matters. It just strengthens me from within to know that I have an eternal purpose and that my son had an eternal purpose.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25