Dear Deya Direct:
My boyfriend of 10 months is an amazing man and the father of two. I really love him and I think we have a bright future together but, because he has to pay such high child-support and buy gifts for his kids, even though he makes good money, he’s basically on a fixed income.
I know it’s hard for him right now and he let me know that he’s not in a financial position to buy me a gift this year. Here’s the thing, Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love gifts. I know it may seem shallow, but I’m really struggling with this one.
Signed, Xmas Baby
Xmas Baby, I feel your struggle. So many people, especially women, have an emotional attachment to holidays that outweigh any logic. Like you, I love Christmas and all the traditions that go along with it. It’s so easy to get caught up in the lights, decorations, songs and sales. At the same time, the true spirit of Christmas has been pimped into a commercial holiday about getting stuff instead of the sacred holiday that emphasizes the love, sacrifice and giving spirit of Christ. Let me give you some Deya Direction if I may.
• Deya Directive 1: The first question to consider: why is he your sweetie in the first place? In other words, what are the qualities that you like/love about him? List the top five qualities that he has which makes him a good love interest. If those top five qualities outweigh your need for a gift for one day of the week, then don’t lose your love over a holiday that’s been commercialized, and puts pressure on people beyond what they can afford. After all, a bottle of perfume can’t keep you warm at night, make you laugh, or wipe your tears away.
• Deya Directive 2: Be honest. Be honest with yourself and with him about how you really feel. As shallow as it may be, if this is a deal breaker for you, then you have to own it and don’t settle. If you do, you may eventually resent him. Because guess what? His kids aren’t going anywhere.
• Deya Directive 3: Respect. Remember that he had kids before he met you. You should respect the fact that he’s being honest and upfront with you about his situation. Moreover, respect that he’s a man that is serious about taking care of his responsibility.Think about it. If the two of you had kids, wouldn’t you want him to honor his children regardless of the women that enter his life?
Finally, Xmas Baby, I’ve got to keep it real DIRECT with you. You are staying true to your name and acting like a BABY. All relationships require some understanding and compromise at some point. If you only want to be with him when things are easy, then you have to ask yourself, do I really want to be with him or do I just want him to do what I want him to do when I want him to do it?
Trust me, there are plenty of men out there who can give you gifts, but that doesn’t mean they’ll give you their heart. If in fact you have his heart and he has yours, then cherish that because TRUE LOVE is the gift that keeps on giving! Nevertheless, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that he’ll consider that this is an important holiday for you and do something thoughtful to demonstrate he cares, even if it’s non-monetary.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a lead producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the best-selling author of Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go (www.touchmebooks.com)! Deya is a life-changing coach, writer and speaker. If you have a question about life, love or relationships email DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30