Dear Deya Direct:
My boyfriend of 10 months is an amazing man and the father of two. I really love him and I think we have a bright future together but, because he has to pay such high child-support and buy gifts for his kids, even though he makes good money, he’s basically on a fixed income.
I know it’s hard for him right now and he let me know that he’s not in a financial position to buy me a gift this year. Here’s the thing, Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love gifts. I know it may seem shallow, but I’m really struggling with this one.
Signed, Xmas Baby
Xmas Baby, I feel your struggle. So many people, especially women, have an emotional attachment to holidays that outweigh any logic. Like you, I love Christmas and all the traditions that go along with it. It’s so easy to get caught up in the lights, decorations, songs and sales. At the same time, the true spirit of Christmas has been pimped into a commercial holiday about getting stuff instead of the sacred holiday that emphasizes the love, sacrifice and giving spirit of Christ. Let me give you some Deya Direction if I may.
• Deya Directive 1: The first question to consider: why is he your sweetie in the first place? In other words, what are the qualities that you like/love about him? List the top five qualities that he has which makes him a good love interest. If those top five qualities outweigh your need for a gift for one day of the week, then don’t lose your love over a holiday that’s been commercialized, and puts pressure on people beyond what they can afford. After all, a bottle of perfume can’t keep you warm at night, make you laugh, or wipe your tears away.
• Deya Directive 2: Be honest. Be honest with yourself and with him about how you really feel. As shallow as it may be, if this is a deal breaker for you, then you have to own it and don’t settle. If you do, you may eventually resent him. Because guess what? His kids aren’t going anywhere.
• Deya Directive 3: Respect. Remember that he had kids before he met you. You should respect the fact that he’s being honest and upfront with you about his situation. Moreover, respect that he’s a man that is serious about taking care of his responsibility.Think about it. If the two of you had kids, wouldn’t you want him to honor his children regardless of the women that enter his life?
Finally, Xmas Baby, I’ve got to keep it real DIRECT with you. You are staying true to your name and acting like a BABY. All relationships require some understanding and compromise at some point. If you only want to be with him when things are easy, then you have to ask yourself, do I really want to be with him or do I just want him to do what I want him to do when I want him to do it?
Trust me, there are plenty of men out there who can give you gifts, but that doesn’t mean they’ll give you their heart. If in fact you have his heart and he has yours, then cherish that because TRUE LOVE is the gift that keeps on giving! Nevertheless, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that he’ll consider that this is an important holiday for you and do something thoughtful to demonstrate he cares, even if it’s non-monetary.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a lead producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM & Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews. She is also the best-selling author of Touch Yourself, 30 Ways to Live, Love and Let Go (www.touchmebooks.com)! Deya is a life-changing coach, writer and speaker. If you have a question about life, love or relationships email DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31