Rick Clark, the sheriff of Pickens County, South Carolina, is refusing to lower the flag to half-staff to honor the life of Nelson Mandela, publicly defying the orders of President Barack Obama.
After Mandela died on December 5 at the age of 95-years-old, Obama issued a declaration ordering all U.S. flags—from the White House to government buildings and military outposts—to be flown at half-staff through sunset on Monday, December 9. A rare honor for a foreign dignitary that Clark doesn’t feel Madiba deserves.
Despite all that Mandela did for global peace and democracy, because he wasn’t America, Clark feels that only South Africa should honor him and posted the following on his Facebook page:
After one commenter repeatedly posted that President Obama had the right to order the flags lowered, Clark responded with the following:
If you will read Title 4 of the US Flag code it is not an “enforceable law” with penalties. “The Code is designed “for the use of such civilian groups or
organizations as may not be required to conform with regulations promulgated by one
or more executive departments” of the federal government.3 Thus, the Flag Code
does not prescribe any penalties for non-compliance nor does it include enforcement
provisions; rather the Code functions simply as a guide to be voluntarily followed by
civilians and civilian groups.” Further more, “The Federal Flag Code does not purport to cover all possible situations.
Although the Code empowers the President of the United States to alter, modify,
repeal, or prescribe additional rules regarding the flag,4 no federal agency has the
authority to issue “official” rulings legally binding on civilians or civilian groups.” Before you try to portray me as a “law breaker” understand the law, codes, and civil law. There is a big difference between “RULES” and the Law and you should know that before you accuse me of behavior that I took an oath to uphold the Constitution!
And supporters cheered him on and voiced pride in his patriotism. At least two said that Obama and Mandela were both from Africa, so that’s why he ordered the flags lowered.
But the real kicker? One commenter said that Mandela would support Clark’s decision because he was doing what he felt was right.
Only in America.
As previously reported by NewsOne, the United States didn’t remove Mandela from its terrorist list until 2008.
Clark’s actions and those of his supporters prove that White supremacy and privilege—and illusions of American exceptionalism—are alive and well in South Carolina.
UPDATE: 12/7/13, 1:11 PM ET
Pickens deleted his disrespectful comment about Mandela, and replaced it with the following:
In an interview with the GreenvilleOnline.com, Pickens doubled-downed on his refusal to lower the flag to half-staff, saying it “weakens what the honor means for Americans who have died for their country.”
Responding to a question about the support that he had received for his original Facebook announcement, Pickens praised the citizens of Pickens County: “I think Pickens County is God-loving and military-loving people, and they’ve just been real supportive.”
While Pickens seems to believe that the “cycle” is over, the local chapter of the NAACP might have something to say about that:
“I expect for him to follow proper protocol and fly the flag at half-staff because that’s the respect I would like to give Nelson Mandela as a citizen of Pickens County,” said Sheila Crawford, President of the Pickens County Chapter of the NAACP.
As we previously reported, Pickens plans to ignore President Obama’s orders and raise the flag tomorrow after observing the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading UPDATED: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To Honor Mandela