TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Jameis Winston will learn whether he faces prosecution Thursday when a state attorney finally announces the results of an intensive investigation into sexual assault allegations against the quarterback for top-ranked Florida State.
The alleged incident occurred nearly a year ago, but it wasn’t until last month that Tallahassee police turned over information about the case to prosecutors.
State Attorney Willie Meggs said Wednesday that his office has “exhausted all investigative tools” since the case was handed over in mid-November.
“We have learned as much as we can learn,” said Meggs, who was expected to announce his findings at a 2 p.m. news conference in his offices in the Leon County Courthouse.
In the short time since Meggs’ office took over the case, investigators have taken DNA from Winston, interviewed the victim and looked at other evidence. ESPN reported that DNA found in the accuser’s underwear matched Winston.
But Timothy Jansen, Winston’s attorney, said he expects Meggs will exonerate his client. He has suggested that Winston had consensual sex with the accuser. The accuser’s family has put out a statement saying Winston raped the woman.
“If he looked at evidence we did, we feel confident he will find that Mr. Winston did nothing wrong,” Jansen said.
Jansen is confident enough that he plans to have Winston briefly address the media about the findings at 7 p.m. at the Hotel Duval in downtown Tallahassee, Fla.
Patricia Carroll, the attorney representing the alleged victim, has not responded to requests for comment.
The case against Winston has drawn national attention. The 19-year-old has led the Seminoles to a No. 1 ranking and a shot at a national championship if they defeat Duke this Saturday. Winston’s play at quarterback has also made him a leading contender for the Heisman Trophy.