Robert Sylvester Kelly, better known to the world as R. Kelly, may have dodged prosecution on 14 child pornography charges after “allegedly” filming himself having sex and urinating on a 13-year-old girl; he may have even managed to hold on to die-hard fans after he married late “Age Ain’t Nothin’ But A Number” singer Aaliyah when she was just 15-years-old.
But Black women, at least those with any sense of solidarity and consciousness, have refused to forgive him—which is why Jezebel’s ode to the most famous statutory rapist since Roman Polanski is one huge, White feminist slap in the face and caused instantaneous and fierce online backlash.
Had Kelly’s young victims been White, Black feminists argued on Twitter, Jezebel would not dismiss their trauma in the name of “satire.” Had the victims been White, there would by no country for Kelly in any so-called feminist publication.
Mikki Kendall and Jamie Nesbitt Golden of @HoodFeminism, who tweet individually as @Karnythia and @thewayoftheid, launched the #FastTailGirls tag on Twitter, and the painful responses of Black women who recalled their own victimization and the accepted response —”You asked for it, you little fast-tail girl”—perfectly segued into Jezebel’s piece because that is the rationalization for Kelly’s continued popularity: The 13-year-old girl must have asked for it. She must have seduced him. You know how these little fast-tail girls are; they think they’re grown.
“Kelly’s ability to avoid consequences is unsurprising, Kendall wrote in a piece on RHRealityCheck.org. “Often it is easier for communities to focus on the girls in such cases than on potential predators.”
Sadly, these “fast-tail” accusations extend far beyond the R. Kelly controversy and often come from older women—our mothers, aunts, grandmothers, older sisters—who would rather shame young girls than challenge a patriarchy that victimizes us all.
The tweet below is a perfect example:
But Jezebel can’t be bothered with entrenched racial stereotypes and the perpetuation of rape culture, not when “everyone’s favorite masterful weaver of stories” has a new album coming out.
MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry weighed in on Jezebel writer Isha Aran’s album review on Twitter:
Colorlines Managing Editor Akiba Solomon also addressed it. Read excerpt below:
Aran certainly captures the guilty pleasure that one can derive from Robert Kelly and even provides the release date for “Black Panties.” What she doesn’t figure out is how is how to tell the truth about R. Kelly and still be funny. She skips over the part where there’s visual evidence that R. Kelly has raped at least one black girl. (Yes, rape. Pubescent girls aren’t old enough to consent.) I challenge any hipster to put that image in the frame and still come out chuckling. I’m also asking Lady Gaga, who simulated soft porn in the Oval Office with Kelly during this year’s American Music Awards, to explain how any of this is OK.
Read Solomon’s entire piece here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31