Robert Sylvester Kelly, better known to the world as R. Kelly, may have dodged prosecution on 14 child pornography charges after “allegedly” filming himself having sex and urinating on a 13-year-old girl; he may have even managed to hold on to die-hard fans after he married late “Age Ain’t Nothin’ But A Number” singer Aaliyah when she was just 15-years-old.
But Black women, at least those with any sense of solidarity and consciousness, have refused to forgive him—which is why Jezebel’s ode to the most famous statutory rapist since Roman Polanski is one huge, White feminist slap in the face and caused instantaneous and fierce online backlash.
Had Kelly’s young victims been White, Black feminists argued on Twitter, Jezebel would not dismiss their trauma in the name of “satire.” Had the victims been White, there would by no country for Kelly in any so-called feminist publication.
Mikki Kendall and Jamie Nesbitt Golden of @HoodFeminism, who tweet individually as @Karnythia and @thewayoftheid, launched the #FastTailGirls tag on Twitter, and the painful responses of Black women who recalled their own victimization and the accepted response —”You asked for it, you little fast-tail girl”—perfectly segued into Jezebel’s piece because that is the rationalization for Kelly’s continued popularity: The 13-year-old girl must have asked for it. She must have seduced him. You know how these little fast-tail girls are; they think they’re grown.
“Kelly’s ability to avoid consequences is unsurprising, Kendall wrote in a piece on RHRealityCheck.org. “Often it is easier for communities to focus on the girls in such cases than on potential predators.”
Sadly, these “fast-tail” accusations extend far beyond the R. Kelly controversy and often come from older women—our mothers, aunts, grandmothers, older sisters—who would rather shame young girls than challenge a patriarchy that victimizes us all.
The tweet below is a perfect example:
But Jezebel can’t be bothered with entrenched racial stereotypes and the perpetuation of rape culture, not when “everyone’s favorite masterful weaver of stories” has a new album coming out.
MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry weighed in on Jezebel writer Isha Aran’s album review on Twitter:
Colorlines Managing Editor Akiba Solomon also addressed it. Read excerpt below:
Aran certainly captures the guilty pleasure that one can derive from Robert Kelly and even provides the release date for “Black Panties.” What she doesn’t figure out is how is how to tell the truth about R. Kelly and still be funny. She skips over the part where there’s visual evidence that R. Kelly has raped at least one black girl. (Yes, rape. Pubescent girls aren’t old enough to consent.) I challenge any hipster to put that image in the frame and still come out chuckling. I’m also asking Lady Gaga, who simulated soft porn in the Oval Office with Kelly during this year’s American Music Awards, to explain how any of this is OK.
Read Solomon’s entire piece here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30