Jawon Johnson, a Maryland teenager spent four days in jail in a case of mistaken identity last month, CBS Baltimore reports.
“I never thought I would be sitting in jail, especially for something I knew for sure I didn’t do,” Johnson said.
The West Virginia State University student claims he was pulled over on Nov. 23rd in Havre de Grace, Md., for making an illegal U-turn.
But the routine traffic stop ended with officers handcuffing and transporting him to a nearby detention center on a federal warrant.
Johnson repeatedly told them he wasn’t their guy. “I told them the picture wasn’t me,” he said. “They continued and insisted [that it was] in fact…me.”
Apparently, officers were looking for a man named Jawan Johnson, with an “a” instead of an “o.” That Johnson is wanted to testify as a witness in a burglary case. Police only realized their mix-up four days later.
All the while, Jawon languished inside a cell.
“I was in the cell 23 hours a day,” he added.
Johnson went before a federal court in Baltimore the following Tuesday, where authorities ran his fingerprints. A picture was sent to D.C. prosecutors before they discovered they had the wrong person.
Family and friends surrounded the court house that afternoon. After discovering he was to be released, they reportedly went inside to the sixth floor lockup and then realized that he’d already been freed and was waiting outside.
Still, the West Virginia wide receiver took the experience in jest. ”As long as I’m out, I’m perfectly fine,” he said. “I’m happy to see my family. I just want to enjoy the rest of my vacation at home.”
Johnson’s mother, however, wants action taken against the officer who arrested him.
“I just felt like he was thrown in shark-infested waters,” Juanita Johnson said.
Havre de Grace police didn’t respond to CBS’s interview requests, but they did tell media partner The Baltimore Sun that “the department honestly thought it had the right person. A comparison of a photo on the warrant and Jawon Johnson’s driver’s license seemed to match up.”
Johnson’s family is seeking legal action against the department.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30