In an article I wrote earlier this year, I shared some optimism from the medical and scientific community about the possibility of a cure for HIV.
Research continues, but new studies indicate there are still some significant challenges to reach a cure. If a cure for HIV is discovered, it may not be effective for everyone. If the successes continue and we reach our goal, we’re still years away from any cure being widely available. But even though we can’t cure HIV yet, we can certainly treat it. Current estimates suggest that a substantial percentage of those infected may be able to live close to a normal lifespan. Yet patients may develop resistance to their HIV medications and need to change therapy. Some drugs may cause toxicities which restrict their use in patients at risk. Also, patients may have other diseases or may be taking other drugs that are incompatible with certain HIV medicines. The bottom line is that we need new drugs. As we approach World AIDS Day 2013 on December 2nd, we have much to celebrate with some new treatments that are either available now or may soon be available. Let me introduce you to some of them.
Teaching an old dog new tricks.
Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Tenofovir (Viread, in combination, Truvada) has been around for over ten years (that’s a long time in the HIV medicine world). It is a strong drug against HIV and has been used safely in tens of thousands of patients. It can also be used for HIV prevention in PreP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). In some circumstances however, it can cause damage to the kidney and some patients may experience loss of bone, similar to osteoporosis. It is easy for your medical provider to monitor for these effects. If detected, these problems will usually go away after your provider stops the medicine. A new form of this drug is available. It is tenofovir alafenamide. It is essentially tenofovir that has learned a few new tricks. Some minor changes to the drug makes it get into the tissues easier and suppress the virus while less of the drug circulates to potentially cause side effects. In clinical studies, tenofovir alafenamide has been shown to be even safer than tenofovir and causing fewer effect on the kidney and bone.
New Kids on the block
The integrase inhibitors are the most powerful class of HIV medicines we have today. They are so potent at suppressing HIV that they can drop the levels of virus to undetectable within just a few days, when combined with other active HIV medicines. They act by preventing the virus from combining its genes with our genes. This process where HIV inserts its genes into our DNA is called integration. This step is absolutely required for HIV to reproduce itself and these drugs block this step. Raltegravir (Isentress) has been available for several years now and has been used safely in many patients. Now we have two new drugs available that work the same way as raltegravir.
Elvitegravir is available as a combination of several drugs combined into one pill, like Atripla (efavirenz, tenofovir and emtricitibine). This combination also includes tenofovir and emtricitibine. Another new drug called cobicistat is also part of the combination. It has no affect on HIV. It is included in the combination to keep the concentration of elvitegravir high in the bloodstream and tissues, and this allows elvitegravir to be taken just once a day. It works similar to ritonavir, which keeps levels of protease inhibitor drugs high and improves the dosing. This new four drug combination of Elvitegravir, cobicistat, tenofovir and emtricitabine is called, Stribild (I wonder how they come up with the names of these products?), and is sometimes referred to as “the quad pill” since it contains four drugs.
More recently, another integrase inhibitor has been approved. This drug dolutegravir (Tivicay). It is also dosed once a day. In some cases if a patient develops resistance to raltegravir, the first integrase inhibitor, they may be able to successfully switch to dolutegravir.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30