In an article I wrote earlier this year, I shared some optimism from the medical and scientific community about the possibility of a cure for HIV.
Research continues, but new studies indicate there are still some significant challenges to reach a cure. If a cure for HIV is discovered, it may not be effective for everyone. If the successes continue and we reach our goal, we’re still years away from any cure being widely available. But even though we can’t cure HIV yet, we can certainly treat it. Current estimates suggest that a substantial percentage of those infected may be able to live close to a normal lifespan. Yet patients may develop resistance to their HIV medications and need to change therapy. Some drugs may cause toxicities which restrict their use in patients at risk. Also, patients may have other diseases or may be taking other drugs that are incompatible with certain HIV medicines. The bottom line is that we need new drugs. As we approach World AIDS Day 2013 on December 2nd, we have much to celebrate with some new treatments that are either available now or may soon be available. Let me introduce you to some of them.
Teaching an old dog new tricks.
Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Tenofovir (Viread, in combination, Truvada) has been around for over ten years (that’s a long time in the HIV medicine world). It is a strong drug against HIV and has been used safely in tens of thousands of patients. It can also be used for HIV prevention in PreP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). In some circumstances however, it can cause damage to the kidney and some patients may experience loss of bone, similar to osteoporosis. It is easy for your medical provider to monitor for these effects. If detected, these problems will usually go away after your provider stops the medicine. A new form of this drug is available. It is tenofovir alafenamide. It is essentially tenofovir that has learned a few new tricks. Some minor changes to the drug makes it get into the tissues easier and suppress the virus while less of the drug circulates to potentially cause side effects. In clinical studies, tenofovir alafenamide has been shown to be even safer than tenofovir and causing fewer effect on the kidney and bone.
New Kids on the block
The integrase inhibitors are the most powerful class of HIV medicines we have today. They are so potent at suppressing HIV that they can drop the levels of virus to undetectable within just a few days, when combined with other active HIV medicines. They act by preventing the virus from combining its genes with our genes. This process where HIV inserts its genes into our DNA is called integration. This step is absolutely required for HIV to reproduce itself and these drugs block this step. Raltegravir (Isentress) has been available for several years now and has been used safely in many patients. Now we have two new drugs available that work the same way as raltegravir.
Elvitegravir is available as a combination of several drugs combined into one pill, like Atripla (efavirenz, tenofovir and emtricitibine). This combination also includes tenofovir and emtricitibine. Another new drug called cobicistat is also part of the combination. It has no affect on HIV. It is included in the combination to keep the concentration of elvitegravir high in the bloodstream and tissues, and this allows elvitegravir to be taken just once a day. It works similar to ritonavir, which keeps levels of protease inhibitor drugs high and improves the dosing. This new four drug combination of Elvitegravir, cobicistat, tenofovir and emtricitabine is called, Stribild (I wonder how they come up with the names of these products?), and is sometimes referred to as “the quad pill” since it contains four drugs.
More recently, another integrase inhibitor has been approved. This drug dolutegravir (Tivicay). It is also dosed once a day. In some cases if a patient develops resistance to raltegravir, the first integrase inhibitor, they may be able to successfully switch to dolutegravir.
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31