Houston Independent School District (HISD) support officer Dr. Tameca Richardson stirred up some real controversy when she addressed the female population at Jack Yates High School at an assembly, pointing out that some of them were dressing like “hoes.”
Richardson’s degrading use of language has raised the ire of many parents and the issue has forced the school district to issue a public explanation, coupled with an apology, according to MyFox Houston.
A spokesperson for HISD told MyFox Houston that Richardson’s reference was not meant to offend but to inspire the young girls at the high school to dress in attire that is more in line with the campus dress code.
Many of the parents at the predominantly Black school, however, were not so understanding and took Richardson’s reference as an outright offense. The angry parents felt that the term “hoes” was a vulgar choice of words that a Ph.D. educator should have refrained from using.
Cynthia King, a parent of a child who attends the school, said that Richardson should be taken to task for her insensitivity.
“That was out of line and she should be disciplined for that,” King said. “You don’t know what kind of home half of these girls are coming from or any of these kids are coming from for you to make a statement like that. You don’t know their living condition and you don’t know their parents financial state. That may be the only thing they have to wear. It’s inconsiderate.”
Late Monday afternoon, HISD issued a statement explaining the incident and apologized for the administrator’s comments. Richardson’s name was never mentioned in the statement, however the school official’s name was provided to MyFox Houston by an unidentified spokesperson for HISD.
The HISD statement reads as follows:
HISD has been made aware of an all-girls assembly at Yates High School on Friday where students reported being offended by a female school administrator who was discussing appropriate school attire. Although the administrator had good intentions and was trying to instill pride and purpose in the students, her approach and tone were perhaps inappropriate and not approved by the district. The district apologizes to all Yates students who were offended and wants to assure families and community members this will not happen again.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Houston School Administrator Under Fire For Saying Students Dressed Like “Hoes”