Every time I see the kid on the Ikea commercial pedal his toy car into his mom’s new kitchen appliances and cabinets, I’m assured that the copywriters for that spot were childless. It’s just one of many TV ads that could get some unsuspecting 5-year-old banned from my house for good— probably by one of my sons.
There’s the one where the kids are writing on the walls and painting on the carpet to prove that Wash Off Crayola products don’t leave permanent stains. Yeah, well, children don’t know the difference between a Crayola brand product that wipes off with a warm sponge (and costs a whopping $50, I might add) and a box of generic crayons from the 99 Cent Store. Therefore it’s totally irresponsible to undo 150 years of good parental threats that still make me shudder at the thought of ever taking a writing utensil to a painted wall in the house.
A lot of other cringe-worthy commercials involve paper towels and disinfectants… a potty training candidate who misses the toilet, the middle-schooler and dad who test their volcano science project on the kitchen counter and the little girl who carries a hot bowl of soup across the room spilling it along the away while mom beams in the background, reminding us that Bounty is the Quicker Picker Upper.
But one single commercial that’s most likely to get a kid in terminal time out (this the only punishment I can admit to, but trust me, in real life, it would be much worse) is the Subaru ad that shows two little boys washing their dad’s car inside and out. In 30 seconds, the curly head kids in swim trunks spray water on the car while the windows are down, pour a blue chemical on the windshield and polish the dashboard with toothpaste. The first time I saw it, I had a second of hope when they’re startled when their father appears. But my heart sank when he smiles and tells them they’ve missed a spot. Yeah, right. What world is this where such disregard of someone’s property gets a pass? I know the point was that Subarus last so long that the car will someday belong to the little perpetrators, but could this inspire my boys to ruin my ride with suds one summer day?
This one hits a little close too home until I remember who’s running things at our house.
But for the sake of the rest of the young viewers, those commercials should run with a disclaimer that reads: “What you’re about to see was performed by child actors and should not, no, we take that back, BETTER not be imitated.”
Until that day, a verbal warning, or better yet, that “Mama, side-eyed glare” should suffice.
Are there any commercials that have this kind of effect on you? If so please share them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31