Training youths in entrepreneurship in Douala, which is one of the main cities of the West and Central Africa nation of the Republic of Cameroon, La Tribune Des Savoirs, an organization focused on exposing youth to entrepreneurship from February 2010, took part in World Entrepreneurship Day last Saturday by organizing a seminar workshop. The workshop, entitled “Dynamic Youths and Entrepreneurship Horizon 2035,” provided a platform of exchange for job seekers to develop the spirit of entrepreneurship and learn ethical values with some 100 young Cameroonians in attendance.
Chief Executive Officer of La Tribune Des Savoirs Jean Paulin Jiotsa (pictured in top picture forth from left, first row) told NewsOne, “Most youths in Cameroon do not have adequate skills to create and manage their own enterprises. With this initiative, therefore, we want to provide and equip the Cameroonian youth with long and lasting entrepreneurial skills each year, with the goal of making them job creators and not job seekers.”
Guest speakers presented on topics, such as good and ethical entrepreneurship practice, techniques of writing a good business plan, mentorship, coaching, legislature on setting up an enterprise, seeking funding, and more.
Mrs. Tanyi of MONDE UNI, who is also the owner of a number of schools and colleges, shared her experience of being a successful entrepreneur. Tanyi, whose contribution to Cameroon’s economy cannot be overstated, recounted her humble beginnings. “I started by selling ground nuts and the little profits I made helped me acquire education, and today, I own schools, colleges, and enterprises in the country. I create jobs [rather than look] for jobs.”
Her story fascinated the youths at the event, and they promised to use her example to build and create their own enterprises in the future.
Targeting students in schools, colleges, and universities has been the top priority of La Tribune Des Saviors. Therefore, Jiotsa added, “So far we have created 14 entrepreneurship clubs in 14 educational institutions in five out of 10 regions in the country, where students take it upon themselves with our guidance to elaborate and implement their different programs. So we only come in to coach and direct them so that significant results can be achieved. In the years coming, we intend to be present in the remaining five regions in the country.”
A variety of school club president presentations showed that they have learned significant entrepreneurship tips and initiatives when they were able to elaborate on activities and plans for the coming years. In addition, participating students were inspired to become successful entrepreneurs. After brainstorming in small groups on how to overcome obstacles that hinder them from eventual success, the best students received awards for their club projects.
Through the Ministry of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises Social Economy and Handicraft, the Cameroon government encourages such initiatives and provides funds to some of the awardees whose projects are selected by a ministerial committee.
By 2020, Cameroon hopes to reduce the unemployment rate of 3.8 percent, according to the World Bank in 2010, with the yearly creation of thousands of jobs in the formal sector. In addition, events such as these work to fulfill incumbent President Paul Biya‘s vision to make the Central African country emerge in the year 2035.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Young Cameroonians Acquire Entrepreneurial Skills