During the holiday season, a period where goodwill is traditionally embraced, it’s discouraging – but not surprising — to watch conservatives unleash their contempt for President Barack Obama.
Here’s the most recent example. Dinesh D’Souza, the right-wing commentator and filmmaker who released the biased documentary “2016: Obama’s America,” tweeted a message last week that caused an online furor.
“I am thankful this week when I remember that America is big enough and great enough to survive Grown-Up Trayvon in the White House!”
Wonderful holiday sentiment: Calling Obama a “Grown-Up Trayvon?” What does D’Souza actually mean?
“Feigned outrage on the left over me calling Obama ‘grown up Trayvon’ except that Obama likened himself to Trayvon!” D’Souza tweeted.
Why is D’Souza making a critical reference to Obama’s comments after the acquittal of George Zimmerman who claimed self-defense when he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin?
Critics of D’Souza responded quickly. One tweeter asked: “So is D’Souza’s point that Obama should be shot?”
D’Souza’s remarks are not only vile and inappropriate when directed at the president, but he also disrespects the memory of Trayvon Martin. D’Souza has absolutely no compassion for Martin’s parents who are still grieving over the loss of their son.
And Republicans actually wonder out loud why they can’t get black folks to join the Republican Party.
Meanwhile, the president’s remarks about Trayvon Martin were right on point.
“When Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,” the president said in July. “Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”
In a deeply personal reflection about racial polarization, Obama steadfastly aligned himself with black men in America.
For all the black men in America who suffer racial indignities; for all the black men who have been called the N-word by racists; for all the black men who feel marginalized — and invisible — in this republic, Obama, the nation’s first black president, stood with them.
I was proud of the president.
D’Souza’s tweets, however, are part of a broader campaign by conservatives to criticize the president no matter how obnoxious or disrespectful.
A few weeks ago, Sen. Ted Cruz, the Republican from Texas, criticized Obama’s Affordable Care Act by linking Obama to Nigerian con men.
“You may have noticed that all the Nigerian email scammers have become a lot less active lately,” Cruz told a conservative audience. “They all have been hired to run the Obamacare website.”
This is what it’s come to in the halls of Congress: A black joke? And a black joke told in public?
But here’s the big picture: D’Souza and Cruz are desperate to fire up their right-wing base by any means necessary one year before congressional elections.
It’s unfortunate that even for a few weeks during a joyful season Republicans still need to show their disdain for President Obama.
For the GOP, hatred never takes a holiday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30