Prosecutor: Decision in Winston Case Unlikely Next Week

Comments: Comments Are Disabled  | Leave A Comment

The alleged sexual assault was first reported to police in December. The family said earlier this week that the victim did not know the identity of her attacker until early January, when she identified him as Winston.

The family has been sharply critical of the way Tallahassee police have handled the case. The family says they pushed to have a DNA sample taken from Winston only to be told by a police detective that it would alert Winston and make the case public. The statement released Friday called it “significant” that the DNA matches Winston and questioned why Jansen did not previously assert that the sex was consensual.

Tallahassee police have defended their handling of the case. The interim chief said this week that the case was placed on inactive status back in February after police were told the alleged victim did not wish to prosecute the case. Patricia Carroll, an attorney representing the accuser, has denied that the woman wanted to drop the investigation.

The alleged victim was an FSU student during the December incident but she left school after Carroll was told by police that information about the case was about to be released to the media.

Winston, 19, was a top freshman recruit and backup quarterback at the time of the alleged assault. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound redshirt freshman is now a Heisman Trophy candidate. No. 2 Florida State has maintained during the investigation that Winston’s status has not changed and he started Saturday against Idaho. If the investigation is not wrapped up by Thanksgiving it means that the Seminoles will likely play the Florida Gators without a decision being made on whether to charge Winston.

(Photo: AP)

« Previous page 1 2

Tags: » »

  • More Related Content

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,837 other followers