The Thanksgiving holiday is always filled with good cheer and good food but for this year’s celebration you can add a side of creepy. Spike Lee’s latest joint, Oldboy, starring Josh Brolin, is a remake of a 2003 South Korean film itself adapted from a Japanese manga (animated film). After advertising exec Joe Doucett is mysteriously captured, imprisoned for 20 years and then freed with no explanation, he becomes understandably obsessed with finding out who abducted him and why. Doucett’s quest for revenge, in the bloodiest way, is the film’s main theme. Lee says that it’s a perfect film for holiday time, but given its subject matter, maybe not right after the meal. Lee’s own description of seeing it with an audience gives you some idea how violent Oldboy is.
“We had the premiere in New York, and I would say 95 percent of the people had not seen the original,” Lee told Theverge.com. “And I really think that even though it’s a dear, cherished, cult film, you can’t leave out the fact that it was a Korean film with subtitles. So not that many people have seen it. So it was just great seeing it with an audience, and their reaction. People holding their hands over their eyes, and screaming, and turning away from the screen and all that stuff. The exact stuff that we wanted.”
Lee is used to generating controversy with his films. This is one of just a few movies that Lee has directed but not written, including Summer of Sam, The Inside Man and The 25th Hour. South Korean director Chan-wook Park, the film’s original director, gave Lee his blessing to re-do the film as long as Lee did it his way. Which of course, he did. In Oldboy he reunites with “Jungle Fever” actor Samuel L. Jackson who Lee helped bring to the national prominence he is now via that groundbreaking role. When asked by the Tom Joyner Morning Show team about their beef, Lee denies any ill will between the two.
“We didn’t have beef, we just had philosophical differences.” “Rich man beef,” is what the TJMS crew says it was. Nevertheless, Lee says the two patched up their differences to make the movie. “We’re cool. Sam called me up and said I want to be in Oldboy, so I sent him the script. He never missed a step since Gator –he and Halle Berry in Jungle Fever. How could he and I have beef? We’re Morehouse men. The House! The House!”
Directed by Lee, Undisputed Truth, Mike Tyson’s no-filter one-man show, is playing on repeat on HBO and his Kickstarter project Da Sweet Blood of Jesus about people addicted to blood but aren’t’ vampires hits next summer. Lee says that Tyson, who had a run on Broadway and around the country with Undisputed Truth worked hard to be credible onstage.
“He had like a month of rehearsal but he was committed to the act, ”Lee says. “He’s on a stage by himself and he didn’t have a Teleprompter. He’s working, he’s working.”
Lee, now 56, with a daugher in film school, has made many successful movies both inside and outside the Hollywood system. But he couldn’t be happier for his cousin, Malcolm D. Lee, director of Best Man Holiday who got his start on Lee’s 1988 movie School Daze as a high school senior.
“He’s killing it. Malcolm Lee, very proud of my cousin. We’re happy with the success of his film but as I told him the other day, you gotta make another one quick,” Lee laughs. “He wasn’t waiting. It’s hard to get movies made.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31