MIAMI (AP) — A South Florida woman is suing the Black Entertainment Television network in a dispute over a Facebook page she developed to promote the show “The Game.”
Attorneys for Stacey Mattocks, who lives in Broward County, say in court papers that BET wrongly took control of the page after the two sides failed to reach a financial agreement. BET wants the lawsuit dismissed, contending Mattocks hasn’t raised any valid legal claims.
Mattocks says one measure of her page’s value was the 7.7 million “likes” it amassed by summer 2012. BET counters that the number of “likes” are not grounds for her to win damages in the lawsuit.
A preliminary scheduling hearing on the case is set for Thursday in federal court in Fort Lauderdale.
According to BET, “The Game” is a show that “follows the lives of professional football players and their significant others as they navigate game, family and friends.” It has been renewed for a seventh season in 2014.
The show was originally on the CW network but was canceled in 2009. In her lawsuit, Mattocks said she “continued to aggressively promote” the show on the Facebook page in hopes another network would pick it up — which BET did in 2010.
After that, BET began paying Mattocks $30 an hour for freelance social media work, according to her lawsuit. The network made several offers for the Facebook page, but the two sides could not reach an agreement.
Eventually, BET and Mattocks reached an agreement in February 2011 allowing the network access to the Facebook page and promising not to exclude her. BET made another offer to pay her more than $4,100 a month for a three-year period, which she rejected. She then decided in summer 2012 to “demote” BET’s administrative access to the page.
It was then that BET terminated its agreement with Mattocks, and her page was removed from Facebook’s site. BET’s own Facebook page for “The Game” grew quickly to more than 6.2 million “likes,” according to the lawsuit.
Mattocks is asking for unspecified damages for several claims, including breach of contract and “breach of good faith and fair dealing.”
In its response, BET contends that it was Mattocks who violated their agreement over use of the Facebook page when she restricted the network’s access. BET’s attorney say in court papers that the network was “seeking to protect its intellectual property by halting what it concluded was (Mattocks’) unauthorized use of that property.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25