MIAMI (AP) — A South Florida woman is suing the Black Entertainment Television network in a dispute over a Facebook page she developed to promote the show “The Game.”
Attorneys for Stacey Mattocks, who lives in Broward County, say in court papers that BET wrongly took control of the page after the two sides failed to reach a financial agreement. BET wants the lawsuit dismissed, contending Mattocks hasn’t raised any valid legal claims.
Mattocks says one measure of her page’s value was the 7.7 million “likes” it amassed by summer 2012. BET counters that the number of “likes” are not grounds for her to win damages in the lawsuit.
A preliminary scheduling hearing on the case is set for Thursday in federal court in Fort Lauderdale.
According to BET, “The Game” is a show that “follows the lives of professional football players and their significant others as they navigate game, family and friends.” It has been renewed for a seventh season in 2014.
The show was originally on the CW network but was canceled in 2009. In her lawsuit, Mattocks said she “continued to aggressively promote” the show on the Facebook page in hopes another network would pick it up — which BET did in 2010.
After that, BET began paying Mattocks $30 an hour for freelance social media work, according to her lawsuit. The network made several offers for the Facebook page, but the two sides could not reach an agreement.
Eventually, BET and Mattocks reached an agreement in February 2011 allowing the network access to the Facebook page and promising not to exclude her. BET made another offer to pay her more than $4,100 a month for a three-year period, which she rejected. She then decided in summer 2012 to “demote” BET’s administrative access to the page.
It was then that BET terminated its agreement with Mattocks, and her page was removed from Facebook’s site. BET’s own Facebook page for “The Game” grew quickly to more than 6.2 million “likes,” according to the lawsuit.
Mattocks is asking for unspecified damages for several claims, including breach of contract and “breach of good faith and fair dealing.”
In its response, BET contends that it was Mattocks who violated their agreement over use of the Facebook page when she restricted the network’s access. BET’s attorney say in court papers that the network was “seeking to protect its intellectual property by halting what it concluded was (Mattocks’) unauthorized use of that property.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30