MIAMI (AP) — A South Florida woman is suing the Black Entertainment Television network in a dispute over a Facebook page she developed to promote the show “The Game.”
Attorneys for Stacey Mattocks, who lives in Broward County, say in court papers that BET wrongly took control of the page after the two sides failed to reach a financial agreement. BET wants the lawsuit dismissed, contending Mattocks hasn’t raised any valid legal claims.
Mattocks says one measure of her page’s value was the 7.7 million “likes” it amassed by summer 2012. BET counters that the number of “likes” are not grounds for her to win damages in the lawsuit.
A preliminary scheduling hearing on the case is set for Thursday in federal court in Fort Lauderdale.
According to BET, “The Game” is a show that “follows the lives of professional football players and their significant others as they navigate game, family and friends.” It has been renewed for a seventh season in 2014.
The show was originally on the CW network but was canceled in 2009. In her lawsuit, Mattocks said she “continued to aggressively promote” the show on the Facebook page in hopes another network would pick it up — which BET did in 2010.
After that, BET began paying Mattocks $30 an hour for freelance social media work, according to her lawsuit. The network made several offers for the Facebook page, but the two sides could not reach an agreement.
Eventually, BET and Mattocks reached an agreement in February 2011 allowing the network access to the Facebook page and promising not to exclude her. BET made another offer to pay her more than $4,100 a month for a three-year period, which she rejected. She then decided in summer 2012 to “demote” BET’s administrative access to the page.
It was then that BET terminated its agreement with Mattocks, and her page was removed from Facebook’s site. BET’s own Facebook page for “The Game” grew quickly to more than 6.2 million “likes,” according to the lawsuit.
Mattocks is asking for unspecified damages for several claims, including breach of contract and “breach of good faith and fair dealing.”
In its response, BET contends that it was Mattocks who violated their agreement over use of the Facebook page when she restricted the network’s access. BET’s attorney say in court papers that the network was “seeking to protect its intellectual property by halting what it concluded was (Mattocks’) unauthorized use of that property.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31