As a teacher where can I tell parents to begin, when they have a child who is constantly failing, for example a nine-year-old in first grade, who still does not know all his alphabets and letter sounds.
Please educate parents about the evaluation process within the boundaries of your job. Many parents do not understand how to help their children who struggle in school. Remind parents that they are their child’s teacher also, and parents help children practice the skills they are learning in school. Many teachers offer before school and after school tutoring to help struggling students.
My 13-year-old is not doing well in his classes and I’m finding it hard to get him motivated. I asked for him to be tested in school with the guidance counselor but I haven’t heard anything back. what do I need to do to get that ball rolling on that. He’s been to a psychologist and a psychiatrist. He doesn’t have ADHD. They just want to put them on medication but medication made him feel bad and he’s not a hyper kid and he just sometimes has trouble focusing so I’m wondering what should I do next?
Kudos for seeking help for your son. Now please write a letter asking for your son to be evaluated by the school for a possible learning problem. Sign and date the letter and give it to the school Special Education Director. The school has 5 school days to respond to your letter and get the ball rolling with testing and 60 school days to test him, by federal law. If your child does not have ADHD, please find out from the psychologist and psychiatrist who saw him what his actual diagnosis is (e.g., Anxiety Disorder, Depression, developmental disability, etc.). Children who struggle in school often lose motivation over time, so individual counseling with an Adolescent Psychologist may be in order. Find other activities that your son enjoys to help build his self-esteem, such as volunteering, sports, music, martial arts, etc.
I have a 4-year-old bilingual child. He is number 4 out of 5. However, he did not start talking as soon and as clear as his siblings. The 2-year-old is equal to the 3 oldest. It seems that I have to speak with him more to repeat what I say or want him to follow my directions. He is active and likes cars and horses. We belong to 4H. Help !
Great question. If your 4-year-old is not talking on time, this is a sign he may have a speech and language disorder. Child who have a speech delay are at increased risk of having learning problems. Also if a child is delayed in speaking one language, they will be delayed in speaking all languages. Speaking more than one language does not cause speech delays. Please ask your child’s primary care doctor for a referral for a private speech and language therapy evaluation. I also suggest getting your child’s hearing testing through an audiology evaluation. Your child is old enough to be evaluated by the local public schools for a possible developmental disability and can qualify for special education services under the category of Speech and Language Impairment. Write a letter to the local public school requesting your child be evaluated for speech problems. Sign, date the letter and give it to the Special Education Director; this will get the evaluation process started. Finally, consider asking your child’s primary care provider for a referral to a Developmental Pediatrician or a Child Neurologist in your area for an evaluation.
« Previous page 1 2
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31