LOS ANGELES (AP) — Tavis Smiley, who has brought rare diversity to late-night TV for a decade on PBS, will add another two years to his run.
The “Tavis Smiley” show has been renewed through 2015, PBS said Thursday.
“The highlight for me is surviving,” Smiley said, noting the growing competitiveness in the late-night talk show realm.
He said he’s unfazed by the coming shake-up that will see Jay Leno step down (again) as host of NBC’s “Tonight,” with the venerable show heading east as Jimmy Fallon takes over in February.
“For us, it’s the same old, same old — another white guy joins the line up,” Smiley said. “In some ways, it might benefit us because ‘Tonight’ is moving to New York. So that’s one less option that guests in LA have to be booked on.
“I love Jay, but I was teasing him the other day that we actually benefit by him going off the air,” Smiley said.
He’s not alone in breaking up the largely white men’s club in late night, with Arsenio Hall’s return this fall in syndication. Hall already made a dent with his 1989-94 series, but Smiley’s 10-year-old program makes him the minority host with the most staying power.
Smiley is proud of the perspective he brings as an African-American. But it’s his mix of guests, which goes beyond ethnic diversity, that he believes have contributed to his longevity.
“What’s made our show work is that it’s hybrid: We’re both entertainment and information,” he said. His guests have ranged from celebrities including Tom Cruise and Mary J. Blige to Hillary Clinton and others in politics and public affairs.
And everyone gets their say on “Tavis Smiley,” he noted, including the musicians who typically play and leave on other shows. He also welcomes veteran stars, who he considers “the best storytellers ever,” despite TV’s preference for younger performers and viewers.
Beth Hoppe, PBS’ chief programmer and general manager, called Smiley’s show an “important asset” for public TV. He also has produced “Tavis Smiley Reports” specials for PBS.
“Tavis and his colleagues produce shows that bring an intellectual richness to our audience with its mix of news and entertainment,” Hoppe said in a statement.
Wal-Mart, which has funded the show since its start, will continue to support it, PBS said.
Among those who top his wish list of guests are Barbra Streisand, whom he’s interviewed on radio but not TV; Diana Ross, and a certain media magnate.
“Trust me, I’ve got some things to ask Rupert Murdoch,” Smiley said, sounding delighted at the prospect.
He doesn’t shrink from controversy. Smiley has drawn the ire of conservatives and, because of his insistent criticism of President Barack Obama’s policies, that of some liberals and African-Americans.
Smiley, who is writing a book about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., also is heard on public radio’s “The Tavis Smiley Show” and “Smiley & West,” the latter a forum for commentary he shares with scholar and activist Cornel West.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31