The New York Police Department allegedly forced Quinshon Shingles to rap in order to avoid arrest, and now the 27-year-old aspiring rapper is filing a lawsuit, reports ABC7.com.
Shingles, whose rap moniker is “Sauce Da Boss,” said NYPD Officer David Grieco and Detective Joseph Patton unlawfully entered his cousin’s home and handcuffed him.
Once they learned that he was a rapper, they told him to spit a few “hot” lyrics. If the lyrics were good enough, officers allegedly told Shingles, they wouldn’t take him to jail. But if they didn’t pass muster, they were taking him in.
“$30,000 in pocket that’s loose change. I throw a billion in the sky like Bruce Wayne,” Quinshon Shingles rapped.
Those lyrics set Shingles free, but the experience made him lose his “artistic creativity.”
“I felt like the old days, slavery. Like dance for the master, dance and sing for the master. It just messed me up inside,” Shingles said.
“This is about me being able to tell my story so this won’t happen to another kid. This is outrageous. This is very disrespectful,” Shingles said.
Shingles and two friends were handcuffed for 90 minutes while cops performed their search, said the suit, which seeks unspecified damages. They apparently wanted to question a visitor to the apartment, but that man was not charged.
Shingles’ cousin Tyriek Fortune was arrested on a previous charge.
Lawyer Wale Mosaku said his client came forward after The News exclusively reported in July that Grieco and six other cops from the 75th Precinct in East New York are under investigation by the Internal Affairs Bureau for a host of allegations — including illegal searches of apartments and stealing jewelry and cash — dating to July 2011.
A source told The News on Tuesday that Grieco and several other cops have been questioned by the IAB and that the investigation is ongoing.
Grieco has also been named in at least 12 lawsuits in federal and state courts alleging civil rights violations, including two filed this month. The city has paid at least $114,000 to settle three of the cases, according to court records.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading NYPD Allegedly Forces Man To Rap To Avoid Arrest [VIDEO]