Have you ever had someone you were very close to really make it big? On one hand, you’re happy for their success and were even wondering how it might even benefit you. But on the other hand, you’re worried that they will blow up so large that all you’ll have is the memories of when the two of you could connect so easily, enjoy each other’s company and believe in your hearts that it would always be that way.
That’s sort of how I feel about Twitter going public. You see, my favorite micro-blogging site and I go way back, all the way to the beginning.
Yep, before Twitter was hip and popular, we met and it was practically love at first Tweet. Even though I was able to communicate with merely a fraction of the people who follow me now, there was something sweet and innocent about chatting with another group of people that could say what they needed to say in 140 characters or less. I was with Twitter when it was the butt of jokes and thought to be a passing fad. After all, who really cared about what MC Hammer was watching on television? I did. Well, not really, but I Ioved the fact that he was taking the time to share such ordinary stuff with the rest of us. He and Shaq, Ashton Kutcher, Joan Rivers, Kim Kardashian, Liz Taylor and Russell Simmons were among the earliest celebrity Tweeters. You’d never see that group of people together anywhere at the same time, except on Twitter.
Oprah’s first Tweet in 2009 said:
Never mind that she misused the noun form of those who Tweet and posted it in all caps. The point is this record will last forever. I imagine it’s what it might have felt like to have recorded the first telephone conversation or to have the first fax transmission ever sent.
Granted, the first Tweets were pretty boring. Barbara Walters posting “getting ready to do the View, must get my hair done” or Bill Cosby’s, corny “I will write tweet nothings in your ear,” probably were turn offs to some, but not me. I knew I was in it for the long haul.
You know the rest of the story. By its 7th birthday in March of this year, it was clear that my virtual BFF was indeed something to chirp about. After more than a billion tweets, it had gone from a platform for mindless chatter among a few pioneers to the source of breaking news stories that included everything from death threats to our president to the confirmation that there was ice on Mars. It has become the go-to- medium for the good, the bad, the ugly, and the amazing. It has changed the way we market products, watch television and stalk people we have crushes on.
It’s special to me because it’s made me laugh and cry, it’s where I’ve met new friends and, for some reason, it’s added a spark to the chats I have with old ones.
And now instead of the fun and silly words linked with Twitter, like re-tweet, hashtags, and avatars, all the talk is about IPO, Wall Street and NASDAQ, and I’m starting to empathize with President Obama’s junior high school girl friend.
I know what we had was real, but can it ever be like it was?
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Will Twitter Unfollow Me When It Goes Public?