The long departed but much beloved Showtime series “Soul Food” that took up where the movie left off with a new cast ran for five seasons, the only Black drama on broadcast television to ever do so. Boris Kodjoe, Malinda Williams, Nicole Ari Parker, Rockmund Dunbar, and Darrin Henson, who played Lem, have all moved on to other things, but the characters they played on the show about a Black Chicago family are truly missed. (You can find all five seasons on DVD here. ) Henson, who started out as a dancer/choreographer, continued acting but for folks on the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage, he’s the fitness guru who provides morning classes to the revelers on the ship. Surprisingly, despite the late-night partying, his classes are packed. He’s back this year, so bring your sneakers and workout outfits onboard with you.
“We had the boat rockin,” Henson told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “One person thought it was the waves hitting us, but it was us, downstairs. It was only supposed to be an hour, but it was two hours. We had so much fun,” Henson says. He’ll be hosting classes again during the cruise, and to keep it up at home, you can always buy Henson’s “Get Fit, Stay Fit,” DVD to keep going. In fact, Henson began a 30 day fitness challenge on the cruise, which cruisegoers continued even once they got back home.
“There were people who lost 15, 20 and 30 pounds. I asked the people who lost 15 or 20 what they did and they said they didn’t do [the DVD] every day. Those people who did the DVD at least once a day lost 30 pounds. We followed them afterward and posted their testimonials on Facebook and Twitter and those people who did the DVD at least once a day lost 30 pounds. The success rate is actually 100% for those who did it every day. The wonderful thing is If you only lost 15, you can put it in again and start it again and lose those 15 more pounds. We’re asking people who’ll be at 2014 to do the same. You have 30 days before, 30 days after – you can do it for 60 days and it will be the same benefit.”
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25