More than four million people watched the TLC biopic on VH-1 on a Monday night no less. Some of the people I talked to have said, “CrazySexyCool” is right up there with “The Temptations” and “The Jackson’s: An American Dream,” two made-for -TV movies that fans find themselves watching no matter how many times it airs.
Like both of those movies, the audience relies on facts told by a person or people very close to the groups. “CrazySexyCool” is Chilli’s and T-Boz’s account of what happened, and that hasn’t been good for Pebbles.
Not surprisingly, TLC’s former manager wasn’t happy being portrayed as the greedy, unscrupulous woman who allegedly mismanaged the trio’s funds, cheated them out of millions and treated them like crap.
Since the movie aired, she’s been the butt of jokes and in some circles she’s come close to becoming the most hated women in show business.
But what would you do if you were Pebbles? Because as bad as she looked in the movie, there has to be another side of the story and we haven’t heard it yet.
She did respond to a promotional radio interview where Chilli and T-Boz reportedly discussed how the group had been wronged. Here is one of several Tweets from Pebbles: “I’m in shock listening to all this mess and lies on this radio interview! This is madness!!! It’s SO hard to believe this! DO NOT believe.”
But since the release of “CrazySexyCool”, she has only said via Twitter that she may be seeking legal action.
According to Robin M. Ware, a social media specialist who also consults clients whose reputation, credibility or public image has been damaged, there are some things that are written or said about you that you have to pay attention to, whether it is true or not.
I don’t think she’s gotten a call from Pebbles, but if she had, Robin would have suggested she follow her 5 R’s of Damage Control:
If it questions your integrity, get in front of it as quickly as possible. Don’t go into hiding.
Get someone who can represent you well, someone who knows how to troubleshoot and put a strategy together.
You want to resolve the issue. You don’t owe the world all the details but you can say, yes, I was part of something that didn’t turn out the way I though it would and for that, I’m sorry.
4. Remove yourself
Get out of the limelight! Sometimes the reason we’re in trouble is because we’re tired and not in the right frame of mind. Go on sabbatical, get some rest and come back when you’re refreshed.
We all have things happen in our lives. So come back out after a while and start to live your life again. There’s nothing you can’t rebound from. God is a God of second chances and we should all be thankful for that!
You can catch Robin’s “Mamas Gone Wild” interview about damage control on BlackAmericaWeb.com.
As a spectator in this whole thing, it seems the longer Pebbles let’s this go on, the more time people have to believe everything TLC has said about her is true.
But whether it is or not, it should make us remember that we’re never completely done with our past. It follows us wherever we go.
Is it Karma or is Pebbles getting an unfair rap?
You tell us, Pebbles.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25