Philip Nace should thank his lucky stars he’s never run across anyone like Mumia Abu Jamal.
Nace is the lead character in a YouTube video that was recently posted. Nace, a white Philadelphia cop, and his partner – also white – subjected two black men to what is known as a “stop and frisk” on Sept. 27.
That’s also called a Terry stop. The criterion for a Terry stop is this: a police officer has to observe someone that he has “reasonable suspicion” to believe has either committed a crime, or is about to commit a crime.
What did the two black men do that caused Nace and his partner to go postal and stop them? They said, “Hi,” to a guy sitting on some steps. The guy was a stranger.
Yes, BAW readers, I’m afraid the practice of “stop and frisk” has come to this.
One of the men stopped tries to record the incident on his cell phone. Nace orders him to stop recording, an indication that the cop is, to use George Zimmerman’s now notorious wording, “up to no good.”
If it were a legal Terry stop, if Nace were doing things by the book, he should have welcomed a recording, not stopped it.
Turns out, he didn’t. The “suspect” just dropped the cell phone to the ground. Viewers can’t see much, but they get to hear everything this rogue cop said.
Nace began by asking the “suspects” why they talked to the man, and then told them “You don’t say ‘hi’ to strangers.”
“Not in this neighborhood,” his partner added.
Once again, let’s review the criteria for a Terry stop: the officer has to have a “reasonable suspicion” that a suspect has either committed or is about to commit a crime.
Saying “hi” to a stranger is not, I believe, a crime. Not even in the town either ironically or cynically named “The City of Brotherly Love.” (Philadelphians might have to correct me on this.)
Nor should saying hello to a stranger an indication that someone is about to commit a crime. Long story short: Nace and his partner made an illegal Terry stop.
And they did much more than that. They were insulting, rude and, at times, downright bilious.
One of the “suspects” tried to explain to the cops that he was simply on his way to work and had done nothing. He and his companion were from Camden, the “suspect” said.
“Don’t bleeping come to Philadelphia!” either Nace or his partner shouts at the “suspect.” “Stay in Jersey!”
“We don’t want you here anyway,” the other cop says. “All you do is weaken the bleeping country.”
Determined not to take such abuse without putting up a fight, the “suspect” replies, “Yeah? I weaken the country? How do I weaken the country, by working?”
“No, freeloading,” the cop answers.
So there we have it: an illegal Terry stop. Rude, abusive cops. And racism.
Freeloading? It seemed way too easy for this white cop to make that conclusion. Apparently, he’s either not familiar with, or not comfortable with, the concept of black folks that are actually employed.
He seems much more enamored of the concept of all black folks as welfare “freeloaders.”
A 2010 report of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics revealed that 64 percent of black folks participate in the labor force. That figure is 66 percent for whites, 67 percent for Asians and 68 percent for Latinos.
So black folks, if those stats are valid, don’t “freeload” any more than white folks do.
The percentages of blacks and whites on welfare are nearly equal. The figure is 38.8 percent for whites and 39.8 percent for blacks.
But 38.8 percent of a really large number is going to be a lot more than 39.8 percent of a smaller number. And there are still a lot more white folks in this country than black folks.
So it’s probably just as likely that the two white cops that made this ridiculous stop have relatives who are on welfare than it is that the two men they stopped have relatives who are on welfare.
Any Philadelphian still wondering why the city’s cops get gunned down in the street – as Abu Jamal was convicted of doing over 30 years ago – had better watch that You Tube video.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30