Philip Nace should thank his lucky stars he’s never run across anyone like Mumia Abu Jamal.
Nace is the lead character in a YouTube video that was recently posted. Nace, a white Philadelphia cop, and his partner – also white – subjected two black men to what is known as a “stop and frisk” on Sept. 27.
That’s also called a Terry stop. The criterion for a Terry stop is this: a police officer has to observe someone that he has “reasonable suspicion” to believe has either committed a crime, or is about to commit a crime.
What did the two black men do that caused Nace and his partner to go postal and stop them? They said, “Hi,” to a guy sitting on some steps. The guy was a stranger.
Yes, BAW readers, I’m afraid the practice of “stop and frisk” has come to this.
One of the men stopped tries to record the incident on his cell phone. Nace orders him to stop recording, an indication that the cop is, to use George Zimmerman’s now notorious wording, “up to no good.”
If it were a legal Terry stop, if Nace were doing things by the book, he should have welcomed a recording, not stopped it.
Turns out, he didn’t. The “suspect” just dropped the cell phone to the ground. Viewers can’t see much, but they get to hear everything this rogue cop said.
Nace began by asking the “suspects” why they talked to the man, and then told them “You don’t say ‘hi’ to strangers.”
“Not in this neighborhood,” his partner added.
Once again, let’s review the criteria for a Terry stop: the officer has to have a “reasonable suspicion” that a suspect has either committed or is about to commit a crime.
Saying “hi” to a stranger is not, I believe, a crime. Not even in the town either ironically or cynically named “The City of Brotherly Love.” (Philadelphians might have to correct me on this.)
Nor should saying hello to a stranger an indication that someone is about to commit a crime. Long story short: Nace and his partner made an illegal Terry stop.
And they did much more than that. They were insulting, rude and, at times, downright bilious.
One of the “suspects” tried to explain to the cops that he was simply on his way to work and had done nothing. He and his companion were from Camden, the “suspect” said.
“Don’t bleeping come to Philadelphia!” either Nace or his partner shouts at the “suspect.” “Stay in Jersey!”
“We don’t want you here anyway,” the other cop says. “All you do is weaken the bleeping country.”
Determined not to take such abuse without putting up a fight, the “suspect” replies, “Yeah? I weaken the country? How do I weaken the country, by working?”
“No, freeloading,” the cop answers.
So there we have it: an illegal Terry stop. Rude, abusive cops. And racism.
Freeloading? It seemed way too easy for this white cop to make that conclusion. Apparently, he’s either not familiar with, or not comfortable with, the concept of black folks that are actually employed.
He seems much more enamored of the concept of all black folks as welfare “freeloaders.”
A 2010 report of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics revealed that 64 percent of black folks participate in the labor force. That figure is 66 percent for whites, 67 percent for Asians and 68 percent for Latinos.
So black folks, if those stats are valid, don’t “freeload” any more than white folks do.
The percentages of blacks and whites on welfare are nearly equal. The figure is 38.8 percent for whites and 39.8 percent for blacks.
But 38.8 percent of a really large number is going to be a lot more than 39.8 percent of a smaller number. And there are still a lot more white folks in this country than black folks.
So it’s probably just as likely that the two white cops that made this ridiculous stop have relatives who are on welfare than it is that the two men they stopped have relatives who are on welfare.
Any Philadelphian still wondering why the city’s cops get gunned down in the street – as Abu Jamal was convicted of doing over 30 years ago – had better watch that You Tube video.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31