Single mother Charity Grace alleges she was barred from a dedication service for children that is to take place at Pastor Marvin Winans’ Perfecting Church in Detroit, Mich., this Sunday because she had her 2-year-old son out of wedlock, Fox 2 News reports.
Take our poll at the bottom of this story.
Grace, who had been attending the church for several years, says she was thrilled at the thought of having her only child receive the special anointment from Winans. “I want to instill values and morals in my son based upon the word of God,” she enthused.
But she says when she called the church’s administration office to make arrangements for the dedication service, she was met with an unexpected response when she mentioned that she was unmarried.
“I told them I was not married and that’s where everything just broke loose,” said Grace. She says she was informed by a woman at the church’s office that Winans does not allow unwed mothers to take part in the blessing ceremony. “I’ve never felt so degraded and disrespected in my life,” she said of the snub.
Fox 2 News reached out Winans but the gospel singer said he had no comment.
Watch Charity talk about being snubbed below:
Meanwhile, News One reached out to Pastor Kevin Gravesandy, who heads the Bronx Christian Church in New York to weigh in on the allegation against Winans. According to Gravesandy, every single church has a set of policies that they go by, so Winans organization is no different. In fact, Gravesandy said if Winans did in fact turn away Grace from the dedication ceremony he is within his rights, but where he tends to disagree with the move is where the child is concerned.
According to Gravesandy, who quotes 1 Corinthians 7:14, “For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
Gravesandy says that God offers forgiveness for sins through Jesus Christ and the eternal comfort of heaven for those who accept Him, the children who accept Him. He added that God cares about families, but he is more concerned that each person, no matter what their family looks like, is repenting of sin and coming into a relationship with Him.
So according to Gravesandy, if Grace is truly a believer and is a Christian, then God will sanctify the child.
Meanwhile Grace is saddened by Winan’s alleged unwelcoming stance towards her and tells Fox 2 News, “I absolutely would not set foot back in the church right now because I feel like they look down upon me and my kind, meaning single moms and unwed mothers. The church should be the last place you should go to be judged and denied.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Unwed Mother Claims Marvin Winans’ Church Snubbed Her