Actress Keke Palmer was just being born when TLC, the musical trio of Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, Rozonda “Chili” Thomas and Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins first hit the music scene. Now both TLC and Palmer are 20 years old and VHI dramatizes their story in “Crazysexycool” airing on VH1 Monday night at 9 p.m.
Palmer, who has said that she and her girlfriends dressed up and played around as the group growing up, is playing Chili. Rapper Li’l Mama is Left Eye and actress/singer Drew Sidora of “The Game” is playing T-Boz. At first, the casting led to widespread derision by TLC fans, but pics and clips from the biopic started changing people’s minds when they saw how accurately the TLC era was recreated.
The movie delves into all the issues and problems that challenged the group even during their 90’s heyday where they were then the best-selling girl group of all time. (Destiny’s Child has since eclipsed them.)
From their acrimonious break with manager Pebbles, to Lopes’ s infamous torching of NFL boyfriend Andre Rison’s mansion to the group’s bankruptcy at the height of their fame, everything is covered.
“It really showed true how authentic they were as a group,” Palmer told the Tom Joyner Morning Show.“All the hard things they had to go through they needed to go through them in order to make the music that inspired a generation.”
Palmer, now in Philly shooting a coming of age film through Queen Latifah’s production company called “Brotherly Love,” says that playing Chili, who she’d long admired, was challenging in the beginning.
“It was nerve wracking at first, but after a while we became such good friends that when they said ‘Chili’s going to be on the set today’ I would be excited.”
Thomas and Watkins are executive producers of the biopic. They told EW.com that reliving Lopes’ death was by far the toughest of the things included in “Crazysexycool.” Lopes’ untimely death at the age of 30 in 2002 is of course included in the movie. Palmer says that the tragedies that the group went through were reflected in their music and that’s what ultimately has given the group such an influential legacy.
“I think the main thing is they put all their lives on the line through the music. So that’s the even more impressive part. They went through a lot of stuff but because of the gift they had through music, they shared their stories and that’s how they were able to touch other people,” Palmer says.
“Crazysexycool” airs October 21 at 9 p.m. on VHI. TLC’s new album “20” the soundtrack to the film is out now.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25