Actress Keke Palmer was just being born when TLC, the musical trio of Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, Rozonda “Chili” Thomas and Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins first hit the music scene. Now both TLC and Palmer are 20 years old and VHI dramatizes their story in “Crazysexycool” airing on VH1 Monday night at 9 p.m.
Palmer, who has said that she and her girlfriends dressed up and played around as the group growing up, is playing Chili. Rapper Li’l Mama is Left Eye and actress/singer Drew Sidora of “The Game” is playing T-Boz. At first, the casting led to widespread derision by TLC fans, but pics and clips from the biopic started changing people’s minds when they saw how accurately the TLC era was recreated.
The movie delves into all the issues and problems that challenged the group even during their 90’s heyday where they were then the best-selling girl group of all time. (Destiny’s Child has since eclipsed them.)
From their acrimonious break with manager Pebbles, to Lopes’ s infamous torching of NFL boyfriend Andre Rison’s mansion to the group’s bankruptcy at the height of their fame, everything is covered.
“It really showed true how authentic they were as a group,” Palmer told the Tom Joyner Morning Show.“All the hard things they had to go through they needed to go through them in order to make the music that inspired a generation.”
Palmer, now in Philly shooting a coming of age film through Queen Latifah’s production company called “Brotherly Love,” says that playing Chili, who she’d long admired, was challenging in the beginning.
“It was nerve wracking at first, but after a while we became such good friends that when they said ‘Chili’s going to be on the set today’ I would be excited.”
Thomas and Watkins are executive producers of the biopic. They told EW.com that reliving Lopes’ death was by far the toughest of the things included in “Crazysexycool.” Lopes’ untimely death at the age of 30 in 2002 is of course included in the movie. Palmer says that the tragedies that the group went through were reflected in their music and that’s what ultimately has given the group such an influential legacy.
“I think the main thing is they put all their lives on the line through the music. So that’s the even more impressive part. They went through a lot of stuff but because of the gift they had through music, they shared their stories and that’s how they were able to touch other people,” Palmer says.
“Crazysexycool” airs October 21 at 9 p.m. on VHI. TLC’s new album “20” the soundtrack to the film is out now.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31