The historic Million Man March in Washington, D.C. organized by Nation of Islam leader, Hon. Louis Farrakhan is celebrating its 18th anniversary this year. To commemorate the historic moment that brought almost a million men together on the National Mall for a day of togetherness, solidarity and atonement, Farrakhan is hosting a celebration this weekend in Tuskegee, Alabama.
Six to ten thousand people are expected to participate in the three-day event that includes ‘Building a New World National Student Conference,” “The Future of Farming and Food in America,” Family Day at Abbott Park and a keynote address in Tuskegee Square from Farrakhan who will deliver a speech on “Muhammad’s Economic Blueprint: Ending Poverty and Want.”
Farrakhan says his health is fine now, after a prostate cancer diagnosis in 1991 and subsequent health problems.
“Tuskegee has given to American and the world so much that we need to be grateful for starting with Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks and you, Tom Joyner,” Farrakhan told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “So we wanted to come and pay respects to that great city and that great institution at Tuskegee University.”
In the 18 years since the March, Farrakhan says that several positive signs have emerged, but there are indications that more work needs to be done.
“In some cases, we’ve gone forward and in some cases, unfortunately we’ve gone backwards. And it always seems that when the people start becoming more conscious as we were in the 60’s more heroin and a pure form of heroin was introduced in our communities. And then when we were becoming conscious again in the 70’s – crack cocaine, gains and violence.
And now it’s full-blown in most of the urban centers with drugs and guns and no opportunity for our people to have jobs and employment. So we’re trying to do the best we can to survive. And unfortunately with young people who are uneducated or undereducated the lure of drugs and guns and violence is there so we have a big job on our hands to correct that.”
While the problems that hinder the black community overall are serious, Farrakhan does not believe they are insurmountable. He says that it is the plight of the poor that is the most significant issue and that that may be the next major gathering that he supports.
“It seems like in 2015 as Martin Luther King Jr., once called for the “Poor People’s March,” it seems to me that so many of us are talking about the middle class but where is the advocacy for the poor? Maybe to celebrate the Million Man March again, we are to gather poor people – black, brown and white, and make a statement to the country that something needs to be done to create jobs and opportunity for the people. We can’t always look to government.
“We have to look to ourselves and what we can do to end this cycle of poverty.”
For more information on the Holy Day of Atonement 2013 in Tuskegee, Alabama, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30