The historic Million Man March in Washington, D.C. organized by Nation of Islam leader, Hon. Louis Farrakhan is celebrating its 18th anniversary this year. To commemorate the historic moment that brought almost a million men together on the National Mall for a day of togetherness, solidarity and atonement, Farrakhan is hosting a celebration this weekend in Tuskegee, Alabama.
Six to ten thousand people are expected to participate in the three-day event that includes ‘Building a New World National Student Conference,” “The Future of Farming and Food in America,” Family Day at Abbott Park and a keynote address in Tuskegee Square from Farrakhan who will deliver a speech on “Muhammad’s Economic Blueprint: Ending Poverty and Want.”
Farrakhan says his health is fine now, after a prostate cancer diagnosis in 1991 and subsequent health problems.
“Tuskegee has given to American and the world so much that we need to be grateful for starting with Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks and you, Tom Joyner,” Farrakhan told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “So we wanted to come and pay respects to that great city and that great institution at Tuskegee University.”
In the 18 years since the March, Farrakhan says that several positive signs have emerged, but there are indications that more work needs to be done.
“In some cases, we’ve gone forward and in some cases, unfortunately we’ve gone backwards. And it always seems that when the people start becoming more conscious as we were in the 60’s more heroin and a pure form of heroin was introduced in our communities. And then when we were becoming conscious again in the 70’s – crack cocaine, gains and violence.
And now it’s full-blown in most of the urban centers with drugs and guns and no opportunity for our people to have jobs and employment. So we’re trying to do the best we can to survive. And unfortunately with young people who are uneducated or undereducated the lure of drugs and guns and violence is there so we have a big job on our hands to correct that.”
While the problems that hinder the black community overall are serious, Farrakhan does not believe they are insurmountable. He says that it is the plight of the poor that is the most significant issue and that that may be the next major gathering that he supports.
“It seems like in 2015 as Martin Luther King Jr., once called for the “Poor People’s March,” it seems to me that so many of us are talking about the middle class but where is the advocacy for the poor? Maybe to celebrate the Million Man March again, we are to gather poor people – black, brown and white, and make a statement to the country that something needs to be done to create jobs and opportunity for the people. We can’t always look to government.
“We have to look to ourselves and what we can do to end this cycle of poverty.”
For more information on the Holy Day of Atonement 2013 in Tuskegee, Alabama, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31