EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Adrian Peterson rejoined the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday after missing practice to attend the funeral for his 2-year-old son, describing the situation as “devastating.”
Peterson was in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Wednesday for the private service for the boy, who died last week in an alleged case of child abuse. Peterson said he didn’t know the child was his until about two months ago and had been working with the boy’s mother to support the family financially and meet the boy, whose name was Tyrese Robert Ruffin.
“I was planning on seeing him. I had a talk with his mom and we got some things together as far as financially helping her,” Peterson said Thursday before practice, discussing details about his son for the first time. “Unfortunately, this situation took place. It’s devastating.”
Peterson saw Tyrese for the first time when he visited the boy in the hospital last Thursday; he died the next day.
“It was a difficult day, just taking in the circumstance and the whole situation,” Peterson said of the funeral. “A child was buried. That’s difficult for anyone.”
A man the mother was dating, 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, is being held on charges of aggravated assault and aggravated battery. Tyrese died of severe head injuries after Patterson was arrested, and prosecutors plan to convene a grand jury to consider more serious charges.
Peterson played against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday and he plans to play against the New York Giants on Monday night.
Peterson’s voice wavered when he discussed Tyrese publicly for the first time, trying to grapple with mourning the death of a son he never got to know. It wasn’t until two months ago that Tyrese’s mother approached the star running back with the possibility that the boy was his.
“A lot of people won’t ever understand the situation that I’m in and see it the way I’m seeing the situation,” he said. “It’s tough, but I’m able to deal with that and got a good supporting cast around me that’s been supporting me through this tough time.”
Peterson thanked his teammates and the Vikings organization for their support.
“They’ve been great, organization, teammates, they’ve been supporting me as well,” he said. “I can’t tell you how many calls I’ve gotten and texts from the guys up top in the organization and players just making sure that I’m Ok and I’m doing well.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
27 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 27
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 27
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 27
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 27
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 27
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 27
7. new new
7 of 27
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 27
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 27
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 27
11 of 27
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 27
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 27
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 27
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 27
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 27
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 27
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 27
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 27
20 of 27
21. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
21 of 27
22. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
22 of 27
23. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
23 of 27
24. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
24 of 27
25. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
25 of 27
26. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
26 of 27
27. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
27 of 27