EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Adrian Peterson rejoined the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday after missing practice to attend the funeral for his 2-year-old son, describing the situation as “devastating.”
Peterson was in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Wednesday for the private service for the boy, who died last week in an alleged case of child abuse. Peterson said he didn’t know the child was his until about two months ago and had been working with the boy’s mother to support the family financially and meet the boy, whose name was Tyrese Robert Ruffin.
“I was planning on seeing him. I had a talk with his mom and we got some things together as far as financially helping her,” Peterson said Thursday before practice, discussing details about his son for the first time. “Unfortunately, this situation took place. It’s devastating.”
Peterson saw Tyrese for the first time when he visited the boy in the hospital last Thursday; he died the next day.
“It was a difficult day, just taking in the circumstance and the whole situation,” Peterson said of the funeral. “A child was buried. That’s difficult for anyone.”
A man the mother was dating, 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, is being held on charges of aggravated assault and aggravated battery. Tyrese died of severe head injuries after Patterson was arrested, and prosecutors plan to convene a grand jury to consider more serious charges.
Peterson played against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday and he plans to play against the New York Giants on Monday night.
Peterson’s voice wavered when he discussed Tyrese publicly for the first time, trying to grapple with mourning the death of a son he never got to know. It wasn’t until two months ago that Tyrese’s mother approached the star running back with the possibility that the boy was his.
“A lot of people won’t ever understand the situation that I’m in and see it the way I’m seeing the situation,” he said. “It’s tough, but I’m able to deal with that and got a good supporting cast around me that’s been supporting me through this tough time.”
Peterson thanked his teammates and the Vikings organization for their support.
“They’ve been great, organization, teammates, they’ve been supporting me as well,” he said. “I can’t tell you how many calls I’ve gotten and texts from the guys up top in the organization and players just making sure that I’m Ok and I’m doing well.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25