As criticism of “Saturday Night Live’s” lack of black female cast members escalated this week after zero were included in its list of new hires, suddenly, the producers have announced that a black woman will serve as guest host next month.
“SNL” revealed this morning that “Scandal” star Kerry Washington will make her guest-hosting debut on Nov. 2.
As previously reported, “SNL” cast member Kenan Thompson made headlines yesterday when he told TV Guide that, yes, it’s the show’s sixth consecutive year without a black female cast member because, turns out, there are just no black female comics out there who are qualified for the gig.
“It’s just a tough part of the business,” Thompson said. “Like in auditions, they just never find ones that are ready.” When asked how the show plans to handle any spoofs of black female celebrities, Thompson responded, “I don’t know. We just haven’t done them. That’s what I’m saying. Maybe [Jay Pharoah] will do it or something, but even he doesn’t really want to do it.”
Eminem will be the musical guest for Washington’s broadcast.
Under Wraps: Celebs Who Tied the Knot in Secret
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Tim Witherspoon & Kelly Rowland were wed this past weekend in a small intimate ceremony in Costa Rica.
1 of 12
2. Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz tied the knot in a private house on the Mediterranean Sea. (Photo: Retna)
2 of 12
3. Jay-Z and Beyonce married with a close circle of 40 friends in Jay-Z’s New York penthouse. (Photo: Retna)
3 of 12
4. Halle Berry married Olivier Martinez on July 13 at Chateau des Conde in Valley, France. (Photo: Retna)
4 of 12
5. Jennifer Lopez tied the knot with Marc Anthony. Guests were told they were attending a backyard awards party. (Photo: AP)
5 of 12
6. Janet Jackson married Qatari businessman, Wissam Al Mana, in a secret ceremony. (Photo: AP)
6 of 12
7. John Legend married Chrissy Teigen in a private ceremony in Italy. (Photo: Retna)
7 of 12
8. After just six weeks of dating, Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon tied the knot on the star’s Bahamian estate. (Photo: Retna)
8 of 12
9. Rapper Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose married in a secret ceremony in Pennsylvania.
9 of 12
10. Lebron James and Savannah Brinson were married in San Diego after several years of dating. (Photo: PRPhotos)
10 of 12
11. Actress Zoe Saldana secretly marrried artist Marco Perego before announcing their marriage 6 months after the nuptials.
11 of 12
12. Kerry Washington surprised the world and married NFL player Nnamdi Asomugha in Idaho. (Photo: PRPhotos)
12 of 12