It’s Disability Awareness Month and Robert David Hall, 65, who has played coroner Dr. Al Robbins on the highly rated CBS show “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” for the past 14 seasons is living proof that there is life after a disability. The popular character actor, who has appeared in several TV shows and and has a side gig as a professional musician, lost both of his legs after an accident with an gasoline oil tanker 34 years ago.
“I was working morning radio in Los Angeles,” says Hall. He says being an athlete (Hall was a pole vaulter in high school and college) helped him with his recovery after having both legs amputated. “It took me about a year to learn how to walk. I still use a wheelchair when I’m out of my artificial legs,” says the married father of a grown son. “I am really just so fortunate to be making my living as an actor and a musician and speaker. I just get my can out of bed every morning and try to do like everybody else.”
Hall went to UCLA and studied acting but says he never thought that he’d make a living at it.
“I’m one of those people who when you tell me I can’t do it, I just have to do it. I think it’s a good trait. It got me whacked around a lot as a kid, because my father said I was too stubborn for my own good, but it came to help me later on.”
Hall has played an active role in increasing awareness about people with disabilities. Some years ago, he introduced President Obama at the 20th Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act.
“At the Rose Garden, we spoke about the fact that 20% of Americans have a disability of some sort. That’s about 55 million people. It’s tough enough for anybody to get and keep a job these days, but it’s especially difficult for people with disabilities. Let’s face it, everyone is trying to find employment. The official title is Disability Employment Awareness. My good friend, Kareem Dale, is the disabilities advisor to President Obama and he’s working hard to spread the word and I go out and speak. I think everybody has a friend or family member who has a disability and just being a brother or sister to people and encouraging them. ”
This TV season on “Ironside,” an actor who is not disabled, Blair Underwood, is playing the role of a man who is. Does Hall think that an abled actor should have played the role?
“I would have liked them to have picked a qualified actor with a disability but Blair Underwood is a good man,” Hall says. (And no, he’s happy with his gig on “CSI” and was never considered to play the part.)
“CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m.
For more information on Disability Awareness Month, click here:
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31