It’s Disability Awareness Month and Robert David Hall, 65, who has played coroner Dr. Al Robbins on the highly rated CBS show “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” for the past 14 seasons is living proof that there is life after a disability. The popular character actor, who has appeared in several TV shows and and has a side gig as a professional musician, lost both of his legs after an accident with an gasoline oil tanker 34 years ago.
“I was working morning radio in Los Angeles,” says Hall. He says being an athlete (Hall was a pole vaulter in high school and college) helped him with his recovery after having both legs amputated. “It took me about a year to learn how to walk. I still use a wheelchair when I’m out of my artificial legs,” says the married father of a grown son. “I am really just so fortunate to be making my living as an actor and a musician and speaker. I just get my can out of bed every morning and try to do like everybody else.”
Hall went to UCLA and studied acting but says he never thought that he’d make a living at it.
“I’m one of those people who when you tell me I can’t do it, I just have to do it. I think it’s a good trait. It got me whacked around a lot as a kid, because my father said I was too stubborn for my own good, but it came to help me later on.”
Hall has played an active role in increasing awareness about people with disabilities. Some years ago, he introduced President Obama at the 20th Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act.
“At the Rose Garden, we spoke about the fact that 20% of Americans have a disability of some sort. That’s about 55 million people. It’s tough enough for anybody to get and keep a job these days, but it’s especially difficult for people with disabilities. Let’s face it, everyone is trying to find employment. The official title is Disability Employment Awareness. My good friend, Kareem Dale, is the disabilities advisor to President Obama and he’s working hard to spread the word and I go out and speak. I think everybody has a friend or family member who has a disability and just being a brother or sister to people and encouraging them. ”
This TV season on “Ironside,” an actor who is not disabled, Blair Underwood, is playing the role of a man who is. Does Hall think that an abled actor should have played the role?
“I would have liked them to have picked a qualified actor with a disability but Blair Underwood is a good man,” Hall says. (And no, he’s happy with his gig on “CSI” and was never considered to play the part.)
“CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m.
For more information on Disability Awareness Month, click here:
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30