Radio host D.L. Hughley showed his audience a different side recently as he talked about the tragic story of Minnesota Viking player, Adrian Peterson, and the loss of his son.
Hughley talks candidly about his own infidelity, having a child out-of-wedlock and the sad ending that brought him to tears.
Check out the full conversation below:
D.L. HUGHLEY: So these are five facts about the death of Adrian Peterson’s son. First he, well, the gentlemen who did it, his name is Joseph Patterson. I don’t know why I’d call him a gentleman; anybody who would kill a child is significantly less than that. What do you got?
JASMINE SANDERS: Right, right. Well, first of all, he had just moved into the home with the child. So he hadn’t been there for a long period of time at all. He also, and also Peterson only found out that he was the boy’s father recently, just literally right before the boy went to the hospital; and also Patterson previously assaulted a three year old.
JASMINE: Like just a year ago.
JASMINE: This was in the news.
JASMINE: Also, Patterson has another child of his own.
JASMINE: And finally Patterson works as a coffee salesman.
D.L.: So here’s the thing, I think that anybody that would let a child, though there’s no reason to not know the history of somebody that’s going to be in that intimate of circumstances with your child. There’s no reason. He’s a Google click away.
D.L.: And I feel bad for Adrian Peterson and I kind of can relate to him because years ago, when I was just starting out, when I was doing comedy, I got a girl pregnant while I was married. She had the baby. I was paying child support. She would never let me get tested, so I couldn’t tell if it was mind or not, so I’m trying to hide it and keep it secret from my wife. And so one day she gives me this ultimatum and she says; you either give me a life insurance policy for the baby or I’m telling your wife. So, of course, I go home and I pray that God take this off me. And so I performed that night, and this is on a Friday night. Saturday I said I would perform, and then I would tell my wife what was happening.
D.L.: Because I didn’t want her to get jammed up.
JASMINE: Of course.
D.L.: It was a horrible, horrible thing. I was a horrible person, I get it. So I prayed to God; take this thing off of me. So the next day I am performing, my friends calls me and he said that the baby was in the hospital … and he … he died. The guy that she had been living with killed him. He shook him and killed him. And I prayed to God; take that off me, but I never wanted that to happen. So I can under—I can certainly relate to him. So my heart definitely goes out to him. This is The D.L. Hughley Show.
Listen to the DL Hughley Radio Show live 3-7 pm et, Weekdays. Listen, find your local station or listen on line thedlhughleyshow.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25