Montel Williams is best known as a talk show host during the 17 years from 1991 to 2008 that he hosted his self-titled daytime show. Now, he’s finding a new career as a health activist. When diagnosed with MS in 1999, he was told he would be in a wheelchair in four years. Over a decade later, with the help of diet and exercise and his own unbreakable will, Williams has greatly improved his health outcome and wants to help others do the same. His new web series “Living Well With Montel Williams” will air on his website starting on Tuesday, October 15 at 1 p.m. EST New episodes will debut every Tuesday at 1 p.m.
“I built a new ‘Living Well With Montel’ community,” Williams told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “The last 13 -14 years of my life, I’ve been dealing with MS. I’ve been working at this every single day and what I’ve learned along the way I think it’s time I started sharing with people. What I’ve learned to help me mitigate my symptoms from MS can help people make it with anything from cancer to Alzheimer’s’ to lethargy, apathy or even laziness. I’ve found a couple of things that can keep me going when times are really tough.”
Williams has said that medical marijuana has helped him deal with the pain stemming from MS, but that was just one factor. He says that supplements and diet have helped him even more, some of the tips that he wants to help others with through his website and web series.
“I changed my diet completely,” Williams says. “One of the things that [The Tom Joyner Morning Show] talks about a lot is that the African-American community doesn’t pay attention to our health. We are leaders in multiple cancers in this country right now. The things that I’m doing to help mitigate inflammation in my body reduced some of my symptoms of MS. I liquefy about 70% of what I eat. I eat one really good cooked meal a day. Everyone has talked about the fact that fruits and vegetables are nature’s anti-inflammatories. And the root cause of chronic illness in this country is inflammation.”
Williams says that he’s not likely to return to daytime TV, which he believes has been dumbed down since he left the airwaves, he says, over contract disputes in 2008.
“They’ve got stuff on TV, I don’t know if you want to call it talk shows, because if I see another Captain Kangaroo trying to deliver information to people acting as if the viewing audience is not even in preschool, I don’t know if you can call it a talk show. They try to give you information about medicine but they call it ‘Pin the tail on the colon.’ Come on. The viewing audience is smarter. And that’s why I’m not back. I’ve been asked to see if I’m interested in coming back and I have no interest whatsoever. Look at television today – it’s all built on one thing – conflict. I wanted to create a new thing.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25