For site owner Karama Horne, SavvyBrown.com isn’t just a clever pen name, but truly embodies her aims to show that changing your life for the better doesn’t have to come at the expense of your time or pockets. On its About page, visitors are greeted with a photo of the beautiful and glowing Horne. However, it’s her words that truly resonate from the onset.
“I believe being healthy doesn’t have to be complicated, being green can be easy and being broke isn’t an option,” is how the page opens up. With a multi-faceted approach of improving health, managing finances, maintaining natural hair, eating better and saving the environment, Horne gamely covers all the bases with an approachable and laid-back writing style.
In a profile done over the summer by Black Enterprise, Horne explained that she began the blog after being diagnosed with fibroids three years prior. She doesn’t profess to be some Green-living guru; moreover, Horne hopes that her plain-speak reaches readers who are looking for the most efficient and simple ways to adapt to a healthier way of living.
From Black Enterprise:
I approach going ‘green,’ being ‘healthy’ and natural hair from a holistic perspective. Yes, we all want beautiful hair, but it’s attached to our bodies that also need to be cared for. It doesn’t make sense to spend all that time reading food labels, making sure what goes in your body is healthy, but not reading beauty labels to make sure what goes on your body is just as safe.
I write the blog from a ‘lazy layperson’s’ perspective. Meaning, I’m not preaching about what your carbon footprint should be or browbeating you with declining polar bear statistics. I do talk about how to make subtle changes so that you consume less, waste less, and save more. I show you how to save money by making some of your own cleaning products, so that you can afford to buy a few more organic vegetables and less medication.
Horne’s blog has been inactive as she and her family deal with the loss of her father over the summer. She wrote a moving tribute in honor of his life that’s worth reading. While Savvy Brown recharges, take a look at the site and soak in the wealth of knowledge Horne has provided in several categories at the top of her page.
Check out Savvy Brown.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25