Tevin Geike, a White soldier, was allegedly stabbed to death in Washington Saturday night by one of five Black males, and Geike may have been the victim of a hate crime, KiroTV reports.
Geike was reportedly celebrating the end of his military service in Lakewood with two other military friends, Matthew Barnes and Brian Johnson. While they were walking along Pacific Avenue Southwest, a car allegedly drove by and the passengers began yelling. ”One of the guys in the back seat yells something like, ‘White,’ and, ‘Cracker,’” Barnes recalls. Barnes said he yelled back, ”So this is how we treat combat veterans now?”
This prompted the car to reportedly return, with the Black men allegedly stepping out of the vehicle. According to Barnes, the men demanded that Barnes repeat what he said, to which he acquiesced. And while four of the men backed off, the remaining man allegedly stabbed Geike in the chest before they all escaped in a dark blue sedan.
Barnes immediately rushed to stop the bleeding. ”I was sitting there, holding my hand on his chest, and then called 911 with my left, screaming at them and telling them exactly where we were and they need to hurry and hurry and hurry,” he said,
Johnson allegedly ran to get help, but by the time he returned, Geike was dead.
Watch news coverage of Tevin Geike’s murder in the video.
“We weren’t out looking for trouble, and trouble found us anyway.” Johnson commented.
Geike originally joined the Army in 2010. He was stationed at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Tacoma, where he received training as an aviation operations specialist.
He’d been celebrating his imminent discharge at the Biltmore Motel earlier that night, friends said.
“I don’t understand how someone can do this — that man, he almost gave his life for people to enjoy the freedoms they have and he was just stabbed for no (expletive) reason,” said friend Glenn Zimmerman to KOMO News.
Officials are investigating the incident as a hate crime.
“We are exploring the possibility that this could be a hate crime or racially motivated,” said Lakewood Police Lieutenant Chris Lawler. ”We won’t know exactly what the motive is until we interview the suspects.”
The five suspects are all Black men in their 20s. The main suspect who stabbed Geike is believed to be in his early 20s and around 6’1″ with a medium build. Lawler is confident he will be found.
“He’s going to get caught,” he said. ”Nobody’s going to give up until we catch up.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30