Wallace “Wally” Amos was the first black talent agent with the William Morris Agency of New York in 1962. He represented major music legends like Diana Ross & the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke and Simon & Garfunkel. To attract clients, he sent them homemade cookies using a famous family recipe.
Wally Amos was born in 1936 in Tallahassee, Florida. He lived with his aunt, Della Bryant, who raised him after his parents’ separation. It was aunt Della who brought the famous chocolate chip and pecan cookie recipe to life. Amos appreciated the art of baking and enrolled in a vocational high school for culinary arts for two years. That experience was followed by four years in the U.S. Air Force. Amos returned to New York City, where he found work in the mailroom at William Morris.
After being promoted and representing some of the biggest acts known to music, Amos was at the top of his game. As a successful agent, he was promoted to the head of the agency’s Rock n ‘Roll department. He felt the need to move to Los Angeles to spread his wings in the industry under his own company. Unfortunately, Amos had not been equipped with business savvy, something desperately needed to make his personal management company thrive.
After moving to Los Angeles in the late 1960’s, Amos switched his focus to his love of baking cookies. He wanted his family recipe to go public. So, with the help of the same music artists he helped make famous, he opened Famous Amos Cookies in 1975 with a $25,000 investment. The brand grew quickly and Amos opened several key locations then was picked up by Bloomingdales Department store. But within ten years, Amos’ lack of business management skills led to the continuous sale of Famous Amos. His brand name diminished after he sold Famous Amos to Shansby Group. After the sale, Amos attempted to start the Chip & Cookie company using his famous recipe, but was sued by Shansby for violating his contract. Amos tried again with Uncle Noname Cookies in 1992.
In 1998, Famous Amos was purchased by Keebler. They brought the cookie maker back as the face and spokesperson of the Famous Amos brand. Since then, Wally Amos has moved to Kailua, Hawaii, where he continues to sell the Chip & Cookie brand cookies in a Hawaiian storefront along with his line of Uncle Wally’s Family of Muffins which are shipped to over 5,000 stores in the United States. He also works as a motivational speaker and spokesman for Literacy Volunteers of America.
His old Famous Amos Panama Hat is now at the Smithsonian Museum.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31