Singer/songwriter Lyfe Jennings is now in a good place. He says his fifth recording “Lucid,” comes from that more positive outlook.
“Lucid” Is clarity. I’m sure it’s no secret; I had a lot of ups and downs,” Lyfe told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I got incarcerated again. I had a little situation but that was the last time. That’s why the album is called ‘Lucid’ because now I always think ‘What do I want to get out of this situation?’ So many times we just act instead of react, instead of thinking ‘What do I want to get out of this situation’ and then act. “
Jennings, now 40, is a Cleveland native who came to the attention of the public through several winning appearances at the Apollo talent competition. That earned him a record deal soon after he was released from prison after serving ten years for arson. His first album title, “268-192,” was taken from his inmate number. Propelled by his hit single “Must Be Nice” and his electrifying stage shows, Jennings became a star.
But an altercation with his children’s mother, Joy Bounds, led to a police chase and sent Jennings back to jail in 2010 to serve two more years. But he remains painfully honest in his music. He has a song called “I Wish” where he admits that he wishes a former love would “get hit by a truck.” Maybe this whole positive outlook thing needs some work?
Not so, Lyfe says. He’s just expressing the raw feelings of someone dealing with a breakup.
“A lot of times when you break up we say the politically correct thing ‘I want you to be happy, I hope your kids grow up to look just like you’ – that ain’t what you mean. You want all those warnings you told them to really happen so you can say ‘I told you so.’
But there are more conciliatory songs on the new CD, like “I Am” which acknowledges that a new outlook can change a life, even one that has spiraled out of control.
“When I do an album, I want to touch on every emotion. Not just the good stuff because listen, good stuff doesn’t happen all the time. And if we don’t address the bad stuff, we don’t know what we’ve got to work on.” Lyfe said that he did write while in jail. “That’s all we had to do, besides cutting people’s grass,” he says. “They had you on hard labor. You come out buff.”
On his song “Like College” Jennings deals with relationships as learning experiences and dishes out some worthwhile advice. “A woman is changing every day. You have to treat her like college. Study, learn her every day. I learned a lot in prison,” he laughs.
Did his celebrity allow him any favorable treatment when he was incarcerated? Quite the opposite, Jennings says.
“I was locked down 23 hours a day. But some people tried to treat me worse. I guess they felt like ‘Wow, you had all of this.’ Some cats were doing all this time and they had no other means to get by. You had an opportunity. We’re going to drag you until the sparks come off you.”
With a renewed opportunity to make music and a now second chance to become a better man, partner and father, Jennings says he hopes to make the best of it all.
“You are going to create something in your life whether it’s good, bad or in the middle,” he says. “So why not create something positive? Why dwell on ‘She did that’ or ‘He did this’ or this went wrong. Why dwell on that and create more on that by focusing on that. Why not dwell on what you want to come out of the situation?’
Watch Lyfe’s In-Studio Jam right Here.
Enter the Lyfe Jennings Boomerang Concert Contest here
“Lucid” is out now. Listen to the whole album here.
“Lucid” Track Listing:
1. I Am
3. I Wish
7. 17 To a Million
8. When It’s Good
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30