Singer/songwriter Lyfe Jennings is now in a good place. He says his fifth recording “Lucid,” comes from that more positive outlook.
“Lucid” Is clarity. I’m sure it’s no secret; I had a lot of ups and downs,” Lyfe told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I got incarcerated again. I had a little situation but that was the last time. That’s why the album is called ‘Lucid’ because now I always think ‘What do I want to get out of this situation?’ So many times we just act instead of react, instead of thinking ‘What do I want to get out of this situation’ and then act. “
Jennings, now 40, is a Cleveland native who came to the attention of the public through several winning appearances at the Apollo talent competition. That earned him a record deal soon after he was released from prison after serving ten years for arson. His first album title, “268-192,” was taken from his inmate number. Propelled by his hit single “Must Be Nice” and his electrifying stage shows, Jennings became a star.
But an altercation with his children’s mother, Joy Bounds, led to a police chase and sent Jennings back to jail in 2010 to serve two more years. But he remains painfully honest in his music. He has a song called “I Wish” where he admits that he wishes a former love would “get hit by a truck.” Maybe this whole positive outlook thing needs some work?
Not so, Lyfe says. He’s just expressing the raw feelings of someone dealing with a breakup.
“A lot of times when you break up we say the politically correct thing ‘I want you to be happy, I hope your kids grow up to look just like you’ – that ain’t what you mean. You want all those warnings you told them to really happen so you can say ‘I told you so.’
But there are more conciliatory songs on the new CD, like “I Am” which acknowledges that a new outlook can change a life, even one that has spiraled out of control.
“When I do an album, I want to touch on every emotion. Not just the good stuff because listen, good stuff doesn’t happen all the time. And if we don’t address the bad stuff, we don’t know what we’ve got to work on.” Lyfe said that he did write while in jail. “That’s all we had to do, besides cutting people’s grass,” he says. “They had you on hard labor. You come out buff.”
On his song “Like College” Jennings deals with relationships as learning experiences and dishes out some worthwhile advice. “A woman is changing every day. You have to treat her like college. Study, learn her every day. I learned a lot in prison,” he laughs.
Did his celebrity allow him any favorable treatment when he was incarcerated? Quite the opposite, Jennings says.
“I was locked down 23 hours a day. But some people tried to treat me worse. I guess they felt like ‘Wow, you had all of this.’ Some cats were doing all this time and they had no other means to get by. You had an opportunity. We’re going to drag you until the sparks come off you.”
With a renewed opportunity to make music and a now second chance to become a better man, partner and father, Jennings says he hopes to make the best of it all.
“You are going to create something in your life whether it’s good, bad or in the middle,” he says. “So why not create something positive? Why dwell on ‘She did that’ or ‘He did this’ or this went wrong. Why dwell on that and create more on that by focusing on that. Why not dwell on what you want to come out of the situation?’
Watch Lyfe’s In-Studio Jam right Here.
Enter the Lyfe Jennings Boomerang Concert Contest here
“Lucid” is out now. Listen to the whole album here.
“Lucid” Track Listing:
1. I Am
3. I Wish
7. 17 To a Million
8. When It’s Good
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31