Round-the-way rapper and gazillionaire entrepreneur Curtis Jackson, a.k.a. 50 Cent (pictured), will be mentoring a transgender teen in a new six-part reality series that will appear on the Sundance Channel called “Dream School.” 50 Cent, the award-winning, multi-platinum controversial artist, will executive produce and appear on the show as well. The move is a departure from the alleged homophobic rep he has developed over the years, reports The Wrap.
The unscripted six-part, hour-long life-changing project presents a place for drop-outs to be inspired and do an about face on their troubled lives. Celebs like music maestro Swizz Beats and educators like civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson have signed on to help these kids overcome past failures and instill in them a hope for a brighter tomorrow.
In “Dream School,” Jackson is mentoring a youth named Alan, a transgendered boy, who was born a girl and is featured on the show as someone who got bullied. “I want to graduate and get away from the people at my school,” Alan says on the show. “I got bullied. I went to the hospital. My mom just didn’t even visit me. I wish I was the person my parents wanted me to be. I wish I was born the person I am now because…I was born a girl.”
Watch a snippet of “Dream School” here:
Ironically Jackson, who has long been accused of being a homophobe, now defends himself as someone who is not. Even though Jackson has used the word “faggot” in a few of his song lyrics and was quoted in Playboy Magazine back in 2004 as stating that he “wasn’t in to faggots,” he staunchly defends himself against accusers who refer to him as anti-gay.
“I don’t have homophobia. I never did,” Jackson told The Wrap. “When you actually make music that mirrors the environment, you use the terminology,” he said. “You use the language. Like if you were making a painting, and you were painting the American flag, if I told you to do that, and not use red, not use the harsh terms or the tougher messages, you would never successfully paint the flag.”
The rap icon continues, “I would use the terminology that would be going around. My grandfather may say terms — people may actually say terms based on their experiences that were happening at that point. … You’ve got people that would call some people a ‘redneck,’ or some people ‘n*gga.’ It’s the term of that time or that period. They’re not necessarily racist, but they’ve heard those terms used around them, and they use them.”
If you a man and your over 25 and you don’t eat pussy just kill your self damn it. The world will be a better place. Lol.
Jackson’s “former” attitude toward gays is ironic because he, himself, has publicly admitted that his own mother, who passed away when he was a tween, had same-sex relationships at a time when society was not so accepting.
But now Jackson seems to be trying to adhere to the “live and let live” credo: He supported our President’s marriage equality backing by stating during an MTV UK interview, ’If the President is saying that, then who am I to go the other way?’ he said.
See Jackson turning a new leaf on the series premiere of “Dream School,” which airs on the Sundance Channel on October 7th. Check local listings for times.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.