Round-the-way rapper and gazillionaire entrepreneur Curtis Jackson, a.k.a. 50 Cent (pictured), will be mentoring a transgender teen in a new six-part reality series that will appear on the Sundance Channel called “Dream School.” 50 Cent, the award-winning, multi-platinum controversial artist, will executive produce and appear on the show as well. The move is a departure from the alleged homophobic rep he has developed over the years, reports The Wrap.
The unscripted six-part, hour-long life-changing project presents a place for drop-outs to be inspired and do an about face on their troubled lives. Celebs like music maestro Swizz Beats and educators like civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson have signed on to help these kids overcome past failures and instill in them a hope for a brighter tomorrow.
In “Dream School,” Jackson is mentoring a youth named Alan, a transgendered boy, who was born a girl and is featured on the show as someone who got bullied. “I want to graduate and get away from the people at my school,” Alan says on the show. “I got bullied. I went to the hospital. My mom just didn’t even visit me. I wish I was the person my parents wanted me to be. I wish I was born the person I am now because…I was born a girl.”
Watch a snippet of “Dream School” here:
Ironically Jackson, who has long been accused of being a homophobe, now defends himself as someone who is not. Even though Jackson has used the word “faggot” in a few of his song lyrics and was quoted in Playboy Magazine back in 2004 as stating that he “wasn’t in to faggots,” he staunchly defends himself against accusers who refer to him as anti-gay.
“I don’t have homophobia. I never did,” Jackson told The Wrap. “When you actually make music that mirrors the environment, you use the terminology,” he said. “You use the language. Like if you were making a painting, and you were painting the American flag, if I told you to do that, and not use red, not use the harsh terms or the tougher messages, you would never successfully paint the flag.”
The rap icon continues, “I would use the terminology that would be going around. My grandfather may say terms — people may actually say terms based on their experiences that were happening at that point. … You’ve got people that would call some people a ‘redneck,’ or some people ‘n*gga.’ It’s the term of that time or that period. They’re not necessarily racist, but they’ve heard those terms used around them, and they use them.”
If you a man and your over 25 and you don’t eat pussy just kill your self damn it. The world will be a better place. Lol.
Jackson’s “former” attitude toward gays is ironic because he, himself, has publicly admitted that his own mother, who passed away when he was a tween, had same-sex relationships at a time when society was not so accepting.
But now Jackson seems to be trying to adhere to the “live and let live” credo: He supported our President’s marriage equality backing by stating during an MTV UK interview, ’If the President is saying that, then who am I to go the other way?’ he said.
See Jackson turning a new leaf on the series premiere of “Dream School,” which airs on the Sundance Channel on October 7th. Check local listings for times.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading 50 Cent To Mentor Trans Teen, Denies Being Homophobic