Act fast in the event of a stroke
Stroke is the third-leading cause of death in the United States. African-Americans have a higher rate of death or disability from stroke than the general U.S. population. But knowledge is power when it comes to stroke.
“If you know the signs of stroke and get the right medical care quickly, the chances of a good recovery rise dramatically,” says Michel Torbey, MD, medical director of OSU Medical Center’s Neurovascular Stroke Center. “That means calling 911 as soon as you recognize signs in yourself or in someone nearby.”
When a stroke occurs, the brain’s blood supply is cut off by a clot or by a broken blood vessel. Brain cells begin to die within minutes. A quick diagnosis and delivery of a clot-busting drug or surgery within three to six hours can mean less damage and even full recovery. “That’s why in our business, we say, ‘time is brain,’” Dr. Torbey explains.
‘America’s Best’ Stroke Care
When a stroke patient arrives at The Ohio State University Medical Center, the highly trained stroke team is prepared to fight for a good outcome. “Comprehensive care is not just a buzzword in the OSU Stroke Center,” says team member Eric Sauvageau, MD, who is dually trained as a neurological and endovascular surgeon. Round-the-clock stroke intervention includes dual-trained physicians who each specialize in more than one aspect of stroke care. That means less time must be spent tracking down specialists as needs arise. It’s also one of many reasons why U.S.News& World Report ranks Ohio State’s Neurology and Neurosurgery program among “America’s Best.”
Once emergent stroke care is completed, the next step is to focus on recovery. Ohio State’s Stroke Rehabilitation Program at Dodd Hall is the only rehab program in central Ohio that’s certified in stroke and brain injury by the highly respected accreditation body CARF International. And it consistently ranks in the top 20 of U.S. News’ “Best Rehabilitation Hospitals.”
“The strength of our program is that we care about the patient holistically…emotionally, spiritually, their family, their home setup.We are about teamwork with the patient,” says Sharon McDowell, MD, director of Stroke Rehabilitation.
Know the Signs
Stroke is an emergency. It can cause permanent loss of function and death. But damage can be prevented if the right care is delivered quickly, says Dr. Torbey. Get help immediately or call 911 if you see these signs — even if symptoms subside:
• weakness or numbness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
• confusion or difficulty speaking or understanding
• problems with vision such as dimness or loss of vision in one or both eyes
• dizziness or problems with balance or coordination
• problems with movement or walking
• severe headaches with no other known cause
There are two different types of stroke:
• Ischemic stroke occurs when a blood vessel supplying blood to the brain is obstructed, cutting off oxygen and blood do a portion of the brain. About 85 percent of all strikes are ischemic.
• Hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a blood vessel in the brain breaks, leaking blood into the brain. About 15 percent of strokes are hemorrhagic, yet they are responsible for more than 30 percent of all deaths from stroke.
Go to medicalcenter.osu.edu/go/afam to take our stroke risk assessment quiz. The quiz asks questions about your age, family history and personal lifestyle.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31