At least that is where Lashanda Matlock would like her pastor father to go.
In a heart-wrenching and equally scathing open letter to her preacher father,Bill Adkins, Matlock outlines the pain he caused over what she claims was his absentee dad status in her life. She says she grew up as an upper middle class southern girl in Memphis, Tenn., just five blocks away from her father’s Greater Imani Church, but he never cared to see her.
At 6-years-old, Matlock says her mother received a cease and desist order from Adkins requesting that she stop trying to communicate with him. However, Matlock says Adkins would visit her elementary school but never approached her, preferring to watch “from the shadows.”
The consistent rejection was something that hurt her dearly:
By age ten, I was a figment of my own imagination. I didn’t exist, my last name was a lie and all records of me were buried in a black hole.
I learned to cope due to a wonderful mother and extended family who always made me smile. I never wanted or went without anything, even a pair of designer Salvatore Ferrragamo heels for my 13th birthday. I had a good childhood, but the lies kept piling upon one after another.
As I reached into my teens my face became the exact image of a man I never knew. I met other illegitimate siblings whose stories were all the same. Rumors spread and I became a topic at dinner parties and for bored housewives. I never wanted the attention, only to be a part of his life. To have a dad like everyone else, and like any child, to have a father’s love.
NewsOne reached out to Matlock, now 33-years-old, for comment, but she declined to be interviewed for this article. WATN 24 in Memphis interviewed Adkins about his daughter’s harsh words and denied having her out of wedlock.
“First of all, I was not married. She’s 33 years old and that was 1979. I was not married. I was not a pastor of a church. I was a Radio Announcer at WLOK Radio,” said Adkins.
Over the weekend, Matlock, who works as a freelance blogger for ChicagoNow, received an outpouring of support from her Facebook followers, many of whom do not know her.
That Matlock chose to express her anguish in such a public fashion reveals how some people use social media to release their pain. It’s a form of self-medicating cyber-therapy that shields the user from having to actually face the person who caused their anguish, according to Jaclyn Cravens, a professor in couple and family therapy program at Alliant International University in San Diego whose research focuses on how people use social media to deal with their relationship challenges.
“It kind of depersonalizes very personal issues, so we feel less inhibited to share personal information about ourselves because we can type it up, we hit send and we don’t see people’s facial responses and don’t really have to worry about how people initially respond to it,” Cravens told NewsOne. “We can put it out there without feeling as vulnerable as we would be with face-to-face communication.”
As for Adkins, he would prefer a more personal discussion and even invited her back for a visit back home.
“I want to do whatever I can to help her, and if it’s acknowledgment that she wants, I’m willing to give it to her,” Adkins said. “I responded to her in email today and I simply said, along with my other children and my wife, come to Memphis, let me introduce you to the entire congregation.”
Given that her open letter has been shared more than 5,200 times since it went live last week, Matlock may have already gotten the recognition she wanted and shows no indication that she would even be interested in making a trip. The ending of her letter says it all:
“So to a man who is a stranger and yet my father I say this: “Go to hell.” But, he’s already there, isn’t he?”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Pastor’s Daughter Tells ‘Deadbeat Dad’ To Go To Hell In Open Letter