My friend and BlackAmericaWeb.com senior political correspondent Michael H. Cottman says it’s time for a black woman to be named president of the NAACP. Not only does he want to see it happen, he’s using Change.Org to petition the 104-year-old civil rights organization.
“The Great” Michael Cottman, as he is known by Sybil Wilkes, says it’s time to do something different.
I’m with him, if different means doing a better job making sure that the NAACP remains relevant. If you’re under 50 I have some questions for you.
Are you a member of the NAACP?
Other than hearing about it on the news, is the NAACP something that you think about?
What is the role of the NAACP today?
What do the letters NAACP stand for?
No joke, a friend of mine had to solve a problem at his job. One of his co-workers decided to take matters into his own hands and wrote a letter to the company threatening to take his grievance to the “NWACP.”
I think too many of us like the idea of the NAACP but don’t really buy into why it’s still necessary, and that is a problem. But if you do, as I did, and go to its website you’ll get a better understanding of what they’ve done and what they’re doing now.
Here are a few things the organization has accomplished over the last five years: it has helped abolish the death penalty in New Mexico, Illinois, Connecticut and Maryland; registered 374,533 new voters; helped increase graduation standards for NCAA athletes and trained black churches to fight the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
The work the NAACP does is ongoing. You don’t know how many times I am asked why advocacy groups including Rev. Al’s National Action Network or Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow/PUSH coalition only show up to protest things like the Trayvon Martin murder and other high-profile tragedies. But they’ve got it twisted.
The truth is, while we’re all going about our daily lives, these groups are putting in the work. Mainstream media and even black media covers events that are attractive to their target audiences. Reporting on what these organizations do day to day isn’t really news worthy, but it is worth noting, especially to those doubting their relevance.
A lot of people scoff at the work of Civil Rights groups until they or someone they love is wrongly arrested, fired, or murdered.
Visit the websites of the NAACP, The National Action Network, Rainbow Push Coalition, the SCLC, and the National Urban League.
These organizations are made up of hardworking, dedicated people who are doing more for us than we’re doing for ourselves. In fact, they’re doing their jobs so well, there are generations who don’t even understand why they’re needed.
Go to Change.org and sign the petition to get a woman to lead the NAACP, but more importantly, learn more about the NAACP and then share what you’ve learned with someone else.
The thing that will kill off the NAACP faster than anything will be apathy.
Yeah, a woman at the head of the organization would be cool. But what would be even cooler would be a push toward making everyone aware of why the NAACP is so worthy of our support—not just by saying we believe in it but by joining and being active.
It hasn’t been THAT long since the founding group—about 50 white liberals and seven black men and women—joined forces, took action against the lynching of black men and called for racial justice in Springfield, Illinois.
Let’s honor their courage and recognize that the fight for rights never ends.
“History teaches everything, including the future.”—French politician LaMartin
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31