Two of Hollywood’s hottest stars, Boris Kodjoe and Paula Patton get the plot of David E. Talbert’s new film “Baggage Claim” jump started with a skin-filled love scene. The film is based on Talbert’s 2005 novel of the same name.
Patton stars as Montana Moore, a not-so-spring chicken who’s looking to find true love with a special man from the “been-there-done-that” list in her little black book. With help from her animated friends Gail (Jill Scott) and Sam (Adam Brody), the flight attendant puts herself on the standby list just in case her Mr. Wonderful lands on the runway of her heart. Talbert delivers a romantic comedy that speaks to the thirty-something singlelite who’s questioning whether or not it really takes a significant other or Prince Charming to help a woman feel complete.
One of the strongest characters in “Baggage Claim” is the boy next door named William Wright (Derek Luke). William is Montana’s longtime friend, who’s there to pick up the pieces after each one of his best friend’s ‘second takes’ with a former lover crumbles with a reality check. During a one-on-one interview, Luke reveals the secret to a long-lasting relationship like the one of himself and wife, Sophia, of fourteen years.
The big question: does it end with a proposal? While I won’t give the plot away, I can undoubtedly say there are a number of proposals in the film. Whether or not the nuptials actually took place is for you to find out this Friday.
Now ladies, back to Boris’ half-naked body on screen. Oops, moving on. My bad.
I met with the director and a number of cast members at the lavish Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills to talk about their experience in making such a star-filled comedy. As Talbert puts it, “I have the prettiest cast in Hollywood.” With cameo appearances by Jill Scott, LaLa Anthony, Christina Milian, Lauren London, Tia Mowry-Hardrict, Djimon Honsou, Taye Diggs, Jenifer Lewis, Terrence J and Rickey Smiley, the big screen had no shortage of black starpower.
Talbert, who became best known for his stageplays (“What Goes Around Comes Around”, “What My Husband Doesn’t Know”), kept the $8.5 million dollar Fox Searchlight project in the family. His wife, Lyn Talbert, served as Executive Producer of Baggage Claim and held a role in the cast as Mrs. Jackson.
Check out the exclusive video interviews featuring Boris Kodjoe, Paula Patton, Jenifer Lewis, Jill Scott and Adam Brody, Tia Mowry-Hardrict, Derek Luke, Christina Milian, Lauren London, LaLa Anthony and film Director David Talbert. See what Paula Patton says about her husband Robin Thicke that will raise both eyebrows and get the scoop on being a single mom and dating from Hollywood darlings Lauren London and Christina Milian.
Baggage Claim opens in theaters today, Friday, September 27, 2013.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30