He could have written a career advice book or maybe even relationship book but “E!” anchor/actor Terrence J. decided to honor the person he considers most responsible for his success – his mother, Lisa. His new book “The Wealth of My Mother’s Wisdom: The Lessons That Made My Life Rich” is about he and his mother’s journey to success.
The North Carolina native’s mother was 17 when he was born and Terrence, born Terrence Jenkins was raised without his biological father. Now of course, he’s a TV talk show host and an actor who’s appeared in both “Think Like A Man” movies and in the new movie “Baggage Claim,” with Paula Patton and Jill Scott out Friday.
“She’s an amazing woman,” Terrence, 31, told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “When I look back at the decisions that she made – I never met my biological father, my mom just kind of raised me and kept me off the street and kept me away from drugs and now that I’m an adult I really respect her and appreciate her path.”
The book tells not just Terrence’s story but the story of other famous men positively influenced by their mothers including actor Laz Alonso, singer Trey Songz, and rappers Ludacris and T.I. A 2004 graduate of North Carolina A & T, Terrence was inspired to persevere in his entertainment career by the example his mother set.
She left New York for North Carolina to provide her son a more stable life, went back to school, built a business and remarried. When Terrence first auditioned for “106 and Park” in one city, he was rejected, so he drove overnight to another, where he was chosen to co-host the show.
“My mom is a great woman,” Terrence says. “I share a lot of stories from all my celebrity friends who talk about their mothers in the book. It’s just about men honoring their moms It’s not about being a mama’s boy, it’s about taking the time to see the journey of how we got here. There’s a book I love called ‘The Alchemist’ and I like to call this the 2013 version. It’s about a journey.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25