The advent of the 24-hour news cycle and the concurrent explosion of technology means that content must constantly be refreshed to feed the media pipeline. This leads to ridiculous examples of 15 minutes of famers like Antoine Dodson and Sweet Brown, as well as minor stories that would barely make the news back in the day being blown out of proportion.
Such is the case with “300 Sandwiches” a blog created by a New York Post reporter to chronicle her quest to create 300 sandwiches for her live-in boyfriend to get a proposal. The reporter in question, Stephanie Smith, said that once she finally made a sandwich her boyfriend had been requesting he jokingly said she was 300 sandwiches away from a ring.
Of course, the internet streets stared buzzing with outrage as women took to social media to let Smith know she’s set back feminism at least 50 years, that she was just desperate to get a man to marry her and that no self-respecting grown woman would transform herself into a homegrown Subway franchise just to please a man.
People, fall back. Y’all are taking this way too seriously. For one thing, Smith is in the media, working as a reporter for Page Six, the Post’s answer to TMZ. She has some idea of what a publicity stunt looks life and this is surely one. First of all, she’s not making her boyfriend, Eric Schulte, a ham and cheese sandwich every day. She’s crafting some pretty inventive sandwich combinations – 172 so far – which she’s photographing and describing in detail for her blog “300sandwiches.” The initial story, written by Smith, “I’m 124 Sandwiches Away from a Ring” ran in, surprise, surprise, the New York Post’s relationship section.
Comments on the article ranged from full support to questioning Schulte’s sexuality. Some said Smith was a great girlfriend to do something caring for her man, others said she was a desperate 30-something trying to get a ring by any means necessary. I think Smith saw a good media opportunity when she saw one. I have no doubt there will be a book, given all the publicity and many of the sandwiches she created admittedly look very tasty. She’s happy, her man’s happy, so what’s the problem?
One commenter to the Post said “This is the saddest story I’ve seen in a long, long time.” Maybe they missed the part of the article where Smith admitted it was a joke and that Schulte, a gourmet cook, actually does most of the cooking. Or that he told “The Today Show” that he’s happy in the relationship and never seriously made sandwich-making a proposal requirement.
What’s really sad is that people are quick to diminish individuals who make grand gestures in relationships just to please the other person. When did we get to the point where making a sandwich for a good guy who treats you well is a problem? He wasn’t asking for her to come home and perform a sexual act, nor was he insistent that she prepare three-course meals every night. No, people, sometimes a sandwich is just that – a sandwich. If your man is good to you, treats you well and is a caring, equal partner and you have a problem making him a sandwich, well, the problem is you.
It’s those small gestures of love and caring that make relationships work, and these days, people do far too few of those little things. You want a blowout wedding, a honeymoon in Paris and you can’t slap some mayo, turkey breast and cheese together on two slices of bread? Either you’re in the wrong relationship or you’re the wrong person. Now take a bite out of that.
Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31