Good morning, Tom. Samuel Jackson is no joke. I can’t even repeat, I don’t think I can repeat on the radio the word that he used to advise the President.
TOM JOYNER: No, you can’t.
DON LEMON: All right. So I’ll paraphrase.
TOM JOYNER: Okay.
DON LEMON: It’s the same word he used to describe, you know, what kind of snakes?
TOM JOYNER: On the plane.
DON LEMON: On the you know what plane.
TOM JOYNER: Right.
DON LEMON: You know what I’m talking about.
TOM JOYNER: Yes.
DON LEMON: Mr. Jackson told Playboy magazine that Mr. Obama should “stop trying to relate, be a leader, be a blanking, it starts with an F, leader.” How do you like that? So minus the F-bomb the question is: does he have a point? Should the President stop trying to be so relatable and be more presidential? Maybe in the John Wayne/George W. Bush kind of way, or maybe in the Father Knows Best, ala Ronald Regan manner, or even in the hey, I am what I am Bill Clinton kind of nature.
The truth is as much as African-Americans love him and hate to hear people criticize him and understandably are routing for him, trust me, I get it. The truth is he is the President of all Americans, not just black Americans. And the majority of Americans right now are not happy with how President Obama is handling his job. Brand new poll numbers out from CNN show that the President’s job approval rating is sliding. And fast. The poll question was: How is President Obama handling his job as President? In May, 49%; that’s below 50, 49% say they approved of his handling his job. In July, 46% said they approved. And right now 45% say they approve of the way the President is handling his job. His favorability rating, according to a Bloomberg National Poll, 47% favorable. And when it comes to handling the economy and foreign policy the numbers for him are even worse. And look, don’t shoot the messenger by saying that I have it in for the President because I’m giving you this information. I’m simply relaying what the polls show. That’s what journalists do. You can interpret the information however you like. And by the way Congress has a measly 20% approval rating, the people who won’t get anything done for the President.
But back to the President and Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson was actually responding to a GQ question about highly educated people, including the President consciously dropping G’s from words in order to sound more like the average Joe. It wasn’t the first time. Now Jackson, who is a Obama supporter, raised millions of dollars for him criticized President Obama. In another interview he said he hoped “Obama gets scary in the next four years.” And he also said that while Mr. Obama got heated over the New Town shooting he still is a safe dude, a safe dude who’s not getting any help from Republicans. Okay. No democratic president, at least in recent history, gets help from Republicans. Bill Clinton certainly didn’t, Tom. You know that. No one hated him more than republicans, and they might’ve hated Hillary Clinton even more than they hated him. So let’s just be honest. Part of the reasons republicans don’t like the President is because he’s a democrat. Part of the reason, some republicans, not all, don’t like the President is yes, because he’s black. You know that. I know that. They know that. And the President knows that.
So that’s why, as I said before on CNN and elsewhere he cannot get heated. He can’t get heated. He cannot be the angry black man no matter how much some might want him, even Samuel L. Jackson – and Mr. Jackson, I love your movies, I love your tell it like it is attitude. Don’t ever stop – so my question to you, Mr. Jackson, and to the listeners today, do you really want this man to go down in history as the angry black President? It’s okay if you do. I’m just asking.
TOM JOYNER: One thing, if he does go down as the angry black President you won’t have another black President. And that’s for sure.
DON LEMON: That’s for sure.
TOM JOYNER: Make ‘Em Think, Don Lemon.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31