Good morning, Tom. Samuel Jackson is no joke. I can’t even repeat, I don’t think I can repeat on the radio the word that he used to advise the President.
TOM JOYNER: No, you can’t.
DON LEMON: All right. So I’ll paraphrase.
TOM JOYNER: Okay.
DON LEMON: It’s the same word he used to describe, you know, what kind of snakes?
TOM JOYNER: On the plane.
DON LEMON: On the you know what plane.
TOM JOYNER: Right.
DON LEMON: You know what I’m talking about.
TOM JOYNER: Yes.
DON LEMON: Mr. Jackson told Playboy magazine that Mr. Obama should “stop trying to relate, be a leader, be a blanking, it starts with an F, leader.” How do you like that? So minus the F-bomb the question is: does he have a point? Should the President stop trying to be so relatable and be more presidential? Maybe in the John Wayne/George W. Bush kind of way, or maybe in the Father Knows Best, ala Ronald Regan manner, or even in the hey, I am what I am Bill Clinton kind of nature.
The truth is as much as African-Americans love him and hate to hear people criticize him and understandably are routing for him, trust me, I get it. The truth is he is the President of all Americans, not just black Americans. And the majority of Americans right now are not happy with how President Obama is handling his job. Brand new poll numbers out from CNN show that the President’s job approval rating is sliding. And fast. The poll question was: How is President Obama handling his job as President? In May, 49%; that’s below 50, 49% say they approved of his handling his job. In July, 46% said they approved. And right now 45% say they approve of the way the President is handling his job. His favorability rating, according to a Bloomberg National Poll, 47% favorable. And when it comes to handling the economy and foreign policy the numbers for him are even worse. And look, don’t shoot the messenger by saying that I have it in for the President because I’m giving you this information. I’m simply relaying what the polls show. That’s what journalists do. You can interpret the information however you like. And by the way Congress has a measly 20% approval rating, the people who won’t get anything done for the President.
But back to the President and Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson was actually responding to a GQ question about highly educated people, including the President consciously dropping G’s from words in order to sound more like the average Joe. It wasn’t the first time. Now Jackson, who is a Obama supporter, raised millions of dollars for him criticized President Obama. In another interview he said he hoped “Obama gets scary in the next four years.” And he also said that while Mr. Obama got heated over the New Town shooting he still is a safe dude, a safe dude who’s not getting any help from Republicans. Okay. No democratic president, at least in recent history, gets help from Republicans. Bill Clinton certainly didn’t, Tom. You know that. No one hated him more than republicans, and they might’ve hated Hillary Clinton even more than they hated him. So let’s just be honest. Part of the reasons republicans don’t like the President is because he’s a democrat. Part of the reason, some republicans, not all, don’t like the President is yes, because he’s black. You know that. I know that. They know that. And the President knows that.
So that’s why, as I said before on CNN and elsewhere he cannot get heated. He can’t get heated. He cannot be the angry black man no matter how much some might want him, even Samuel L. Jackson – and Mr. Jackson, I love your movies, I love your tell it like it is attitude. Don’t ever stop – so my question to you, Mr. Jackson, and to the listeners today, do you really want this man to go down in history as the angry black President? It’s okay if you do. I’m just asking.
TOM JOYNER: One thing, if he does go down as the angry black President you won’t have another black President. And that’s for sure.
DON LEMON: That’s for sure.
TOM JOYNER: Make ‘Em Think, Don Lemon.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30